Omitting specific playlists from iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I use some smart playlists as “building blocks” for other playlists, giving me some extra logical flexibility. Is there any way I can prevent these intermediate playlists from displaying on the iPod? I have quite a few of them. I tried using the “Only Update Selected Playlists” option and unselecting my building block playlists, but it promptly removed the three quarters of my music library that isn’t in any playlist at all.
A: If we were to solve this problem, we’d do it quite like you… with the “Only Update Selected Playlists” synchronizing method.
How would we remedy the side effect you’ve noticed? Unfortunately, you’re going to need to create one more smart playlist and include it on the iPod in order to hide the rest. This single playlist will encompass your entire library, so that all songs will transfer properly. Set up this smart playlist as follows:
This playlist will continually update as you add new songs to your library.
With this (otherwise useless) playlist added to your iPod’s selected playlists, your entirely library will be transferred to the iPod. Unfortunately, however, this method requires that you manually check (in the iPod panel of iTunes’ Preferences) any new playlists you may later create in iTunes. Still, it’s really the only way to semi-conviniently exclude a specific playlist from the iPod and still retain some degree of automation.
Clearly, this method is only worthwhile if you have more than one “building block” playlist you’d like to hide.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!