Only one song plays at a time in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a weird problem with playlists on iTunes. When I try to play a playlist, it only plays the first track and then stops. Using the “next track” icon doesnt work either. The only way I can get it to play the next song is to explicitly click on that particular song and click the play icon. Also, Party Shuffle, regardless of which playlist I choose for its source, complains that “the playlist does not contain any playable songs.” I have just downloaded the latest iTunes, but the problem still occurs. What on earth am I doing wrong?
A: Every part of your issue suggests one possible problem: we’d bet that every song in your iTunes Library has been “unchecked” accidentally. Check the checkmarks to the left of your song titles; for normal operation, these should be checked.
iTunes’ checkmarks allow users to do several things: dechecked songs are excluded from play without explicit intervention (as you’ve noticed), and thus prevent the files from showing up in Party Shuffle. Also, checkmarks can be used as a way to prevent songs from transferring to an iPod if you’ve checked the “Only sync checked items” in iTunes’ iPod Summary window. Finally, the checked status of songs can be a valuable smart playlist condition.
The good news for you is that the checkmarks are easy to restore en masse - you don’t need to check thousands individually. Simply open your “Music” library so all songs are visible simultaneously, and click one empty checkbox while holding down Command (The “Apple key” on a Mac) or Control (PC).
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10