Organizing audiobooks on iPod classic
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: When I try to sync my audio books to my new 160GB iPod classic it puts all chapters together by number (e.g. chapter 1, then chapter 2, etc) and makes the books unplayable. It seems to break them and catogizes them by chapter number not titles. How can I fix this?
A: How audiobooks are organized on the iPod depends on a number of factors, and you should ensure that tags such as album and artist are filled out appropriately to identify the author (artist) and book title (album) name for each chapter.
You should also ensure that your audiobooks are properly tagged with a “Media Kind” of “Audiobook.” This can be set by selecting the tracks, choosing Get Info from the iTunes File menu and selecting the Options tab.
You may also find it better to combine any multi-chapter audiobooks into a single audiobook file rather than using separate chapters. Audiobooks in iTunes and on the iPod support chapter markers and can remember your playback position. This is generally easier than trying to manage playlists of multiple chapters. If you’re importing your audiobooks from CD, you can use the “Join CD Tracks” option found on the Advanced menu to merge multiple CD tracks into a single MP3 or AAC file.
There are also third-party tools available for both Mac and Windows that can be used to merge multiple audiobook chapters into a single file and insert the necessary chapter markers. For more information, be sure to check out our Guide to iTunes Audiobooks, Podcasts + iTunes U.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, and 9.7” iPad now available to order
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10