Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 160 GB iPod classic and when I go to my audiobooks it simply lists EVERY audiobook file I own alphabetically, with no options to sort by artist or album like it does with my music. This makes listening to any audiobook that does not have alphabetical chapter names a NIGHTMARE (anthologies are the worst, as the separate stories are scattered all over the master list). An Apple Care representative could not figure this out. You’re my last hope! PLEASE HELP!
A: The built-in audiobooks menu on the iPod is quite limited and only operates in the way you describe—providing a listing of ALL audiobooks that are on your iPod, in alphabetical order.
While there’s no way to change the behavior of the built-in audiobooks menu option, you can work around this problem by using playlists for your audiobooks. Audiobooks are treated in the same manner as any other audio file in terms of being able to be placed in a playlist and synced to your iPod as part of that playlist.
Smart Playlists are particularly helpful in this case, as you can build playlists which automatically select audiobooks from a certain genre or author and filter out those which you have already listened to.
Another possible workaround would be to change your audiobook files back to “Music” files in iTunes. If you re-classify your audiobooks as “Music” files then they will show up in the normal artist, album and genre sections. To do this, you can simply select the track(s) in question, choose File, Get Info from the iTunes menu to see the file information dialog box and then change the “Media Kind” from “Audiobook” to “Music” under the Options tab.
Note that you will lose the ability to set playback speed by doing this, but can still use the “Remember playback position” and “Skip when shuffling” options found on the same tab to apply those typical audiobook settings.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps gain Touch ID support, other improvements
- Apple releases tvOS 10.2 and Apple TV Remote for iPad
- Apple releases watchOS 3.2, featuring Theatre Mode, SiriKit
- Apple releases iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Siri + CarPlay improvements
- Wells Fargo rolling out ability to use Apple Pay for transactions at some ATMs later this year
- Apple ‘stepping up’ investment in AR glasses, but they’re still reportedly more than a year away
- Beijing court overturns ruling that iPhone 6, 6 Plus violated design patents
- TSMC to begin production of A11 chips for new iPhone in April
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10