Organizing your Music Videos
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have downloaded music videos into iTunes and they play great on my iPod, but how do I find and display/manage them in the iTunes library?
A: As of iTunes 7, Apple has taken the approach that music videos are an extension of your music library, and removed the separate category for music videos, instead choosing to organize them alongside your normal music tracks.
As a result of this approach, you’ll find the music videos listed under the “Music” section in iTunes, organized by artist and album, listed among your song tracks.
If you want to get a list of all of your music videos, the simplest way to do this is to use a smart playlist for them. As of iTunes 7.1, this playlist is automatically created as one of the default playlists in a NEW iTunes library. However, if you’ve upgraded your library from any previous version you will need to create this playlist manually.
To create a Smart Playlist, simply choose New Smart Playlist from the File menu in iTunes. You will be presented with a dialog box asking you to specify what criteria you want to apply to the smart playlist in question. A simple criteria of “Video Kind” is “Music Video” should suffice if you simply want to organize all of your music videos in one place, although you can certainly specify any additional criteria if you wanted to limit the selection further (perhaps creating music video lists for different genres or eras, for instance).
Note as well that once you have created the smart playlist, you can manage your videos and further organize them from within that smart playlist. For instance, the normal “Browser” function works within any playlist as well, so you can quickly and easily filter by genre, artist, or album when browsing your “Music Videos” smart playlist. Further, you can delete tracks from your library directly from within the smart playlist by holding down the SHIFT key (Windows) or OPT key (Mac) while pressing the DELETE key.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10