Our Favorite iPod AppleScripts | iLounge Article

Article

Our Favorite iPod AppleScripts

Want to enhance your quality of life, save time, and reduce the incidence of repetitive stress injuries? Well here’s how, using some of our favorite iPod AppleScripts.

Bookmark Magic

If you haven

« Praise for Apple’s iPod Warranty Support

Final: iPod mini battery tests »

Comments

WOW! the first tip on bookmarking is amazing. I had no idea about that.

Thats just awesome. Would be great for DJ albums people don’t feel like breaking up.

Or for long speeches, I can’t think of why i’d need it, but i know when i do, it will come in handy.

Posted by Jon on March 10, 2004 at 7:44 AM (CST)

Awesome—the Rip to iPod script is worth its weight in gold to me!

Thanks!!

Posted by Matthew on March 10, 2004 at 1:02 PM (CST)

Hmmm so far in my experience using iTunes-iPod and automatic synching of a Smart Playlist with iPod, the play count and last played DO get updated (the last played are often times between 8 am and 5 pm when i’m away from my computer).

Posted by Mike K in Brazil on March 10, 2004 at 1:24 PM (CST)

Is there any way for someone to change these programs to be usable on a PC? That Synch iPod-iTunes Data script sounds really great.

Posted by wolfman200 on March 10, 2004 at 1:50 PM (CST)

Mike K,

The Synch iPod-iTunes Data script is for people who manually manage their iPods.

Posted by Doug Adams on March 10, 2004 at 1:53 PM (CST)

thanks so much for the article!  i love the bookmarking script.  you rock!

quick question - do you have a script that can change the file back to m4a or m4p?

Posted by jp on March 10, 2004 at 2:21 PM (CST)

I could not get the bookmarking script to work at all.  Any ideas?

Posted by DKG on March 10, 2004 at 5:52 PM (CST)

is there any way to get bookmarking in itunes for windows?

Posted by hello on March 10, 2004 at 9:45 PM (CST)

Wow, this is poopy!

Posted by poopy on March 11, 2004 at 7:41 PM (CST)

Rip2ipod is really a cool thing! Just one problem (I am newbe, maybe the solution is obvious): one can’ t use automatic synch after that, because all the files on the ipod being not on the hard disk of the Mac are deleted then…

Any idea to solve this? Would like to automatically synch my playlists AND keep some additional music tracks on the ipod, but not on my hard drive…

Cheers, nio

Posted by nio on March 13, 2004 at 6:14 AM (CST)

Wonderful article! I peeked at the Applescripts, then connected the iPod to my Mac, opened Terminal, and ‘ls’d the ‘hidden’ music files. (Not that I want to tinker with them; I just like knowing where things are.)

Posted by Beth C. in Massachusetts on March 13, 2004 at 7:34 AM (CST)

Yikes. Perhaps a better place to post yer questions would be at the iTunes AppleScripts forum here at iPodlounge. Thanks!

Posted by Doug Adams on March 13, 2004 at 2:43 PM (CST)

I was going to post the same note as Mike K above (with regards to “Synch iPod-iTunes Data” not being necessary.)  This particular feature, that my iTunes “knows” what my iPod has recently played, and how many times I played them on the road, has always been my favorite “show off” feature.

(It’s this sort of tight integration that only Apple would spend time on and perfect, and makes the iPod stand tall on top of all the other MP3 players.)

Of course though, I automatically update my iPod.  I’ve selected about 10 smart playlists and 5 regular ones from my 80+ GB library, and now every time I plug the 20 GB iPod in its gets refreshed with about 15 GB of music (and audio books) I want to listen to.

Make sense that the tip only applies to those that MANUALLY update their iPod.  Perhaps the article should make this clear.

Posted by Josh on March 15, 2004 at 9:45 AM (CST)

AWESOME.  I love the Import script - I have lost many of my CDs but have put them on my iPod via my friend’s computer/music collection.  Now I am able to back up the files on my own computer!!!

Posted by Jim on March 15, 2004 at 6:42 PM (CST)

I want to put a song from a CD onto my ipod but I want to eliminate the first 20 seconds of the song.  How can I do that?

Posted by Lee on March 18, 2004 at 7:50 PM (CST)

will john paul davis’ applescript only work, if the itunes library is empty? or will it just work automatically without any confirmation message?

i can’t seem to make it work. it is not stated, if the script works with panther (which i cannot imagine).

Posted by redAPPLE on March 20, 2004 at 4:41 AM (CST)

whenever I plug in an ipod with a different library than that on my computer it asks me whether I want to sync them or not with the default option as “no.” And I have it on automatic update

Posted by evan on March 22, 2004 at 9:09 PM (CST)

I found the tip about bookmarking elsewhere on the web yesterday. I use windows and was very pleased to find that simply renaming m4a files to m4b allows this feature to work.

After renaming I needed to drag the files into iTunes, then clear the duplicate entries that were already there.

To get the files to go to the iPod, I needed to go to the iPod options and set the only sync checked songs option. I then unchecked these “books”, and sync’d. Now the files were not on the iPod. Then I changed the options back to auto, sync’d again and the m4b files were on the iPod.

The bookmarking feature works great. You can even listen to a point on iPod or iTunes, sync, and the bookmarks get sync’d.

Posted by Tom Bergman on April 14, 2004 at 3:32 AM (CDT)

Is there anyway to use the smarter smart playlist on window xp?

Posted by Mike on April 25, 2004 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

I have not yet figures out if there is a way to run scripts in my “PC” version of Itunes…
Can I run the same scripts made for Mac?
Thanks for any insight anyone can give.

Posted by norsk79 on May 15, 2004 at 10:12 PM (CDT)

hi there. when i import cd tracks to my library in itunes, the tracks register but come up as 0.00 secs and i cant play them. can somebody please help. thanks

Posted by shaz on May 25, 2004 at 10:35 AM (CDT)

ur cool

Posted by hollyu on June 21, 2004 at 9:07 PM (CDT)