Pairing iPod touch with Bluetooth headsets
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: When I put my second-generation iPod touch into discovery mode for Bluetooth, it spins a status indicator and says “Discoverable” but it does not recognize my Motorola N136 earpiece. It does recognize and recognize and link with my Jabra speaker, however. Both are fully charged and in proximity to each other, but I can’t link them. Any ideas?
A: There are actually two main types of Bluetooth audio devices, and each uses a different “profile” that determines how it connects to a Bluetooth host device such as a phone, media player or computer. Headsets such as the Motorola N136 that are designed to be used for cell phones use the “Headset” or “Handsfree” profiles, which provide mono bi-directional audio suitable for use with a cell phone. On the other hand, Bluetooth earphones and speakers for media players use a profile known as “A2DP” which is basically a stereo audio profile suitable for listening to music and other high-quality audio.
Most media players only support the A2DP profile since it provides much higher-quality stereo audio, and the iPod touch is no exception here. Since it is not a phone, it does not support pairing with Bluetooth “Headset” or “Handsfree” devices, which are designed to be used with cell phones. Your Jabra speaker, on the other hand, likely supports the A2DP profile which is why you can pair with that just fine.
Note that even the iPhone, which can link with Handsfree and Headset devices, requires an A2DP headset to actually listen to music—Headset or Handsfree devices are only used for phone call audio.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!