Pairing iPod touch with Bluetooth headsets
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: When I put my second-generation iPod touch into discovery mode for Bluetooth, it spins a status indicator and says “Discoverable” but it does not recognize my Motorola N136 earpiece. It does recognize and recognize and link with my Jabra speaker, however. Both are fully charged and in proximity to each other, but I can’t link them. Any ideas?
A: There are actually two main types of Bluetooth audio devices, and each uses a different “profile” that determines how it connects to a Bluetooth host device such as a phone, media player or computer. Headsets such as the Motorola N136 that are designed to be used for cell phones use the “Headset” or “Handsfree” profiles, which provide mono bi-directional audio suitable for use with a cell phone. On the other hand, Bluetooth earphones and speakers for media players use a profile known as “A2DP” which is basically a stereo audio profile suitable for listening to music and other high-quality audio.
Most media players only support the A2DP profile since it provides much higher-quality stereo audio, and the iPod touch is no exception here. Since it is not a phone, it does not support pairing with Bluetooth “Headset” or “Handsfree” devices, which are designed to be used with cell phones. Your Jabra speaker, on the other hand, likely supports the A2DP profile which is why you can pair with that just fine.
Note that even the iPhone, which can link with Handsfree and Headset devices, requires an A2DP headset to actually listen to music—Headset or Handsfree devices are only used for phone call audio.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10