Party Shuffle not advancing tracks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: In the 10-5-06 edition of Ask iLounge, a reader had a problem with playlists playing one song and then stopping. The only way to advance to the next song was to manually click it, and the root cause of the problem was deselected checkmarks.
My problem is similar, but a little different. All of my playlists work fine. The only problem I have is with Party Shuffle. It seems to start the next tune and stops. All songs are checked.
I have iTunes on my work and my home computers and this happens on both of them. The first time I noticed this was after I downloaded the most recent version of iTunes (220.127.116.11).
A: It makes sense that you’ve only recognized it in iTunes 7; Apple has slightly tweaked the behavior of the Party Shuffle feature in a minor way.
In iTunes 6, if you wanted “play one song, then stop” functionality in iTunes, you had to use Party Shuffle set to retrieve songs from an empty playlist, as we suggested to do here.
Only a few weeks later, Apple released iTunes 7, which made doing this easier: simply set the Party Shuffle to display 0 upcoming songs, and no upcoming tracks will play unless you tell them to. Before, if Party Shuffle were set up in this manner, it would simply play the next song without telling you what it was.
The direct answer to your question? Party Shuffle will no longer ‘surprise’ you with the next song without showing you what it is—you must display a non-zero number of upcoming tracks if you want continuous playback from Party Shuffle.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- More details emerge on Apple Music overhaul
- iPhone tops Time’s list of most influential gadgets
- Kohl’s integrates rewards system with Apple Pay
- Apple hires ex-Nest exec to aid in health initiatives
- Apple loses exclusive ‘iPhone’ trademark in China
- Apple to reveal ‘sweeping changes’ to Apple Music interface at WWDC
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)