Party Shuffle not advancing tracks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: In the 10-5-06 edition of Ask iLounge, a reader had a problem with playlists playing one song and then stopping. The only way to advance to the next song was to manually click it, and the root cause of the problem was deselected checkmarks.
My problem is similar, but a little different. All of my playlists work fine. The only problem I have is with Party Shuffle. It seems to start the next tune and stops. All songs are checked.
I have iTunes on my work and my home computers and this happens on both of them. The first time I noticed this was after I downloaded the most recent version of iTunes (184.108.40.206).
A: It makes sense that you’ve only recognized it in iTunes 7; Apple has slightly tweaked the behavior of the Party Shuffle feature in a minor way.
In iTunes 6, if you wanted “play one song, then stop” functionality in iTunes, you had to use Party Shuffle set to retrieve songs from an empty playlist, as we suggested to do here.
Only a few weeks later, Apple released iTunes 7, which made doing this easier: simply set the Party Shuffle to display 0 upcoming songs, and no upcoming tracks will play unless you tell them to. Before, if Party Shuffle were set up in this manner, it would simply play the next song without telling you what it was.
The direct answer to your question? Party Shuffle will no longer ‘surprise’ you with the next song without showing you what it is—you must display a non-zero number of upcoming tracks if you want continuous playback from Party Shuffle.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Google rolling out $35-a-month YouTube web TV service
- Apple releases fourth beta of tvOS 10.2 to developers
- ‘iPhone 8’ to have curved OLED screen, ditch Lightning port for USB-C across all models
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3 + watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Third-party screen repairs no longer void iPhone warranty
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10