Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’ve been having a weird problem with my passcode field not showing up at all when I type it in on my iPhone lock screen. I know the iPhone is normally supposed to show dashes or dots or something as placeholders when I’m typing in my passcode, but in my case it shows nothing—no blank field, no filled in characters as I type. I’m able to get into my iPhone fine by keying in my passcode, but i just can’t actually what I’m doing or how many digits I’ve entered, which is frustrating since if I hit the wrong button I have to start over entirely. Any idea why this is happening? I even replaced my iPhone 5 recently and it’s still happening on the new one, so I don’t think it’s a hardware thing.
A: It seems that there is a somewhat obscure bug in iOS 7 that causes the passcode entry field to be hidden in this manner when certain background wallpapers are used.
While we haven’t figured out the exact formula, it seems that dark, high-contrast wallpapers such as the sort of night cityscape shown above can cause this exact behaviour. iOS 7 tries to dynamically display text on the lock screen to contrast appropriately with your wallpaper, and in this case it appears to be getting something wrong.
Fortunately, the solution is an easy one in this case. Simply switch to a different, wallpaper with more colour and less contrast and your passcode entry field should reappear.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- Apple releases statement on iCloud Calendar spam
- Apple sending out drones to improve Maps data, adding interior building maps
- Tim Cook allegedly tells customer AirPods to ship in ‘next few weeks’
- Apple Pay reportedly launching in Spain tomorrow
- Netflix enables offline viewing for some shows and movies on its iOS app
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10