Personal Hotspot availability on the iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Does the iPad 2 support Personal Hotspot Wi-Fi? I’m not jailbroken so I don’t have access to Cydia. What about other iPad models?
A: Unfortunately no. The Personal Hotspot feature is only supported on the third- and fourth-generation iPad and the iPad mini, as well as the iPhone 3G and later models. Note that only the iPhone 4/4S/5 and supported iPad models offer Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi, with the iPhone 3G and 3GS working only over Bluetooth or USB.
Keep in mind as well, however, that Personal Hotspot is also dependent upon your carrier and in some cases even your chosen data plan. Further, while Apple maintains a list of carriers with corresponding feature availability for the iPhone, no such list is available for the iPad. Even if you own a supported iPad model, you should therefore check with your cellular service provider as to whether an iPad data plan that includes the Personal Hotspot feature is available.
Note that jailbreaking an iPad 2 and installing the appropriate apps from Cydia will provide the ability to essentially use the device as a Personal Hotspot, regardless of carrier data plan as well. However, this is an unsupported configuration in terms of getting any Apple of official carrier support for the feature. Further, if you are not on a data plan that officially provides tethering, it is unlikely but possible that using this feature could result in additional data charges outside of your normal on-device plan.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fifth beta for tvOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple to start publishing its AI research
- Supreme Court rules against Apple in design patent case
- Study finds half of kids headphones exceed safe volume limits
- More iPhone 6s devices affected by shutdown bug; iOS update coming
- Apple releases sixth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Developers pushing back against abusers of Apple’s App Store refund policy
- Apple lobbies for shared data, more public road access to test autonomous driving systems
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10