Personal Hotspot availability on the iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Does the iPad 2 support Personal Hotspot Wi-Fi? I’m not jailbroken so I don’t have access to Cydia. What about other iPad models?
A: Unfortunately no. The Personal Hotspot feature is only supported on the third- and fourth-generation iPad and the iPad mini, as well as the iPhone 3G and later models. Note that only the iPhone 4/4S/5 and supported iPad models offer Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi, with the iPhone 3G and 3GS working only over Bluetooth or USB.
Keep in mind as well, however, that Personal Hotspot is also dependent upon your carrier and in some cases even your chosen data plan. Further, while Apple maintains a list of carriers with corresponding feature availability for the iPhone, no such list is available for the iPad. Even if you own a supported iPad model, you should therefore check with your cellular service provider as to whether an iPad data plan that includes the Personal Hotspot feature is available.
Note that jailbreaking an iPad 2 and installing the appropriate apps from Cydia will provide the ability to essentially use the device as a Personal Hotspot, regardless of carrier data plan as well. However, this is an unsupported configuration in terms of getting any Apple of official carrier support for the feature. Further, if you are not on a data plan that officially provides tethering, it is unlikely but possible that using this feature could result in additional data charges outside of your normal on-device plan.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!