Photo Stream and one-way syncing of photos
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Can the iCloud Photo Stream feature send photos from my iPod touch to my iPad but not send photos from my iPad to my iPod touch? I only want newly added photos from my iPod touch to appear on my iPad, but I don’t want my iPad sending photos to my iPod touch. Can this be done?
A: Unfortunately, this is not the way Photo Stream is designed to work. Once enabled on a device, Photo Stream pushes all new photos from that device up to iCloud and downloads everything that’s already in the Photo Stream to that device’s Photo Stream section. Essentially, the idea is that the “Photo Stream” album should be consistent across all devices. There is no way to disable Photo Stream downloading while still uploading new photos, or vice-versa.
Note that the Photo Stream will always appear as a separate virtual album, however, and the Camera Roll will still only include photos taken or saved on each individual device. Further, if you’re concerned about storage capacity, it’s worth noting that photos downloaded into the Photo Stream are scaled down to about 3.1 - 3.5 megapixels.
That said, depending on what you specifically want to do, there are alternatives that may be worth considering. One such option is the Shared Photo Streams feature found in iOS 6. Shared Photo Streams work like independent albums in your Photo Stream. Photos are not automatically added to a Shared Photo Stream, but you can manually add those iPod touch pictures that you want on your iPad, and they will be transferred across to the other device. In addition to having to add them manually, the other downside is that Shared Photo Streams downscale photos before they’re uploaded to around 3.1 - 3.5MP, however if you’re using an older iPod touch model, this won’t be an issue as this is higher than your original camera resolution. Unlike the main Photo Stream feature, Shared Photo Streams also have the advantage of working over a cellular data connection.
Another alternative is to use a third-party app and cloud service. Dropbox, for example, provides a feature in its iOS app that will automatically upload new photos from your Camera Roll to your Dropbox account. Due to iOS’ limitations on background apps, this required opening the app to initiate the upload, but the process is handled automatically otherwise. The Dropbox app can also be used to view any photos that are automatically uploaded without taking up any local storage on your device.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!