Playing Back Movies with AC3 Audio in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Thanks! Excellent and helpful article. Is there any chance to play movies with AC3 passthru on my Mac connected optically to a receiver?
A: Yes, AC3 passthru is supported in iTunes provided your Mac has an optical or HDMI connection available. Keep in mind that Mac OS X is able to detect what type of audio connection is connected to your Mac; the AC3 track will only be available if an appropriate optical or HDMI connection is detected.
You can check your output connections by going to Sound in your Mac OS X System Preferences. If nothing is connected, Internal Speakers will be displayed here; this changes according to what you have plugged in, and will show Digital Out if an appropriate digital audio output is connected.
Provided a digital output is available and selected in your System Preferences, you should be able to select the AC3 track while playing a video either from the Controls, Audio & Subtitles menu in iTunes, or by clicking the speech balloon icon that appears in the on-screen playback controls. The AC3 passthru track will be listed as “Surround” versus the normal two-channel “Stereo” track.
In fact, with a digital audio connection in place iTunes should normally select the “Surround” track for you by default when playing back any video which includes one, in much the same way as the Apple TV does.
Keep in mind that not all Mac models provide a digital audio output port, and many use a single port to provide both analog and digital output. More information on identifying the audio output ports and their corresponding symbols can be found in Apple’s support article on Audio Ports.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Apple adds ability for developers respond to apps reviews, tweaks in-app rating prompt rules
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps gain Touch ID support, other improvements
- Apple releases tvOS 10.2 and Apple TV Remote for iPad
- Apple releases watchOS 3.2, featuring Theater Mode, SiriKit
- Apple releases iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Siri + CarPlay improvements
- Wells Fargo rolling out ability to use Apple Pay for transactions at some ATMs later this year
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10