Playing iPod through secondary computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I run iTunes on my iMac and keep my library on my external HD. When I go on vacation with my MacBook I am unable to play the music from my iPod via iTunes on my MacBook because it’s not authorized. I’ve never done this before, can someone please advise?
A: The likely problem here is that your MacBook is not authorized for the iTunes Store account that was used to purchase your music. Since you likely purchased most of your music on the iMac and synced your iPod from there, this computer would have automatically been authorized, but your MacBook will not be unless you have actually purchased content on it or you have authorized it manually. Although your iPod can play the music since it was authorized by your iMac, the MacBook itself also requires its own separate authorization.
Since Apple permits you to have up to five authorized computers, the solution to the problem is relatively simple: Choose Store, Authorize Computer from the iTunes menu on your MacBook, and enter your iTunes Store user name and password when prompted.
This will download the necessary authorization information from the iTunes Store so that your computer can play any content purchased with your iTunes Store account. Note that if you have more than one iTunes account that you have purchased content from, you will need to repeat this process for each account.
Note also that since you’re limited to five authorized computers, you should also ensure that you DE-authorize your iMac or MacBook should you ever sell them or take them in for service. This is accomplished by choosing Store, Deauthorize Computer from the iTunes menu.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Report: Apple acquires cloud music provider Omnifone? [Update: No]
- Apple releases second iOS 10 public beta
- India clears the way for Apple to open retail stores
- Apple Pay launches in Hong Kong
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app