Playing iPod touch on secondary computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m looking for a way to play music from my iPod touch on a computer that I’m not syncing with. My goal is to hook up my iPod to my work computer using a standard USB cable, use the iPod itself OR iTunes or other software to select music/playlists, and have it play through my laptop’s speakers. I know that there is no disk or manual mode on the iPod touch or iPhone, but does this mean that what I’ve described is impossible? I’d rather not have to buy a speaker/dock solution for this new job just yet!
A: There are a couple of different ways you can do this, with the most straightforward being to simply set the iPod touch to manual mode and handling it through iTunes in the same way as you would for a traditional iPod.
Although the iPod touch does not have a “Disk Mode” it does in fact support manual management of the content in the same way as any other iPod. The iPhone originally lacked any kind of manual mode, but this was partially added in iTunes 7.6 to allow you to manually manage your iPhone’s content from a single computer.
The iPod touch, on the other hand, supports the same manual management capabilities as any of the earlier iPod models, so in this case you can simply set the iPod touch to manual mode and then access it through iTunes as you normally would.
If you do not want to install iTunes on the secondary computer, you can also look at another tool called TouchCopy ($25, http://www.wideanglesoftware.com, limited trial available). This is a third-party tool that allows you to access the content on your iPod touch to play it back on your computer and even copy it from your iPod touch back to your computer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!