Playing podcasts on 3G iPod shuffle
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have the new 3G iPod shuffle and am running iTunes 9. The iTunes window shows selected podcasts are on the playlist of the shuffle and that list changes as I update and sync but they won’t play. How do I get podcasts to play on the shuffle? The gurus at my closest Apple Store couldn’t seem to figure this out either.
A: On the 3G iPod shuffle, podcasts are excluded from your normal music rotation on the assumption that you probably don’t want to listen to podcasts mixed in with your music. Instead, you need to specifically select either a playlist that you’ve set up containing your podcasts, or the general “Podcasts” category on the iPod shuffle by using the Voice Over controls for playlist selection.
To do this, simply hold down the main play/pause button on the headphone controls. You will first hear the name of the currently-playing track—keep holding the button down and the iPod shuffle will emit a short beep sound and start reading off the names of your playlists on the device. Once it has gone through the playlists, the next option should be “Podcasts.” At any point after hearing the name of the playlist you want to listen to, simply release and tap the button again to select that particular playlist, or the Podcasts category.
Note that there is no way to select a specific podcast to listen to on the iPod shuffle; the “Podcasts” category simply begins playing all of the podcasts that are loaded onto the device, although of course you can skip through the individual episodes using the headphone controls as you would for any other track. If you want to listen to a specific podcast, your best option is to create a playlist in iTunes for that podcast, and then select the specific playlist using the method above rather than choosing the general “Podcasts” category.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10