Playing podcasts on 3G iPod shuffle
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have the new 3G iPod shuffle and am running iTunes 9. The iTunes window shows selected podcasts are on the playlist of the shuffle and that list changes as I update and sync but they won’t play. How do I get podcasts to play on the shuffle? The gurus at my closest Apple Store couldn’t seem to figure this out either.
A: On the 3G iPod shuffle, podcasts are excluded from your normal music rotation on the assumption that you probably don’t want to listen to podcasts mixed in with your music. Instead, you need to specifically select either a playlist that you’ve set up containing your podcasts, or the general “Podcasts” category on the iPod shuffle by using the Voice Over controls for playlist selection.
To do this, simply hold down the main play/pause button on the headphone controls. You will first hear the name of the currently-playing track—keep holding the button down and the iPod shuffle will emit a short beep sound and start reading off the names of your playlists on the device. Once it has gone through the playlists, the next option should be “Podcasts.” At any point after hearing the name of the playlist you want to listen to, simply release and tap the button again to select that particular playlist, or the Podcasts category.
Note that there is no way to select a specific podcast to listen to on the iPod shuffle; the “Podcasts” category simply begins playing all of the podcasts that are loaded onto the device, although of course you can skip through the individual episodes using the headphone controls as you would for any other track. If you want to listen to a specific podcast, your best option is to create a playlist in iTunes for that podcast, and then select the specific playlist using the method above rather than choosing the general “Podcasts” category.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!