Playing podcasts sequentially
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have created a playlist in order to listen to a selection of podcasts but unfortunately only one podcast plays and then I have to manually select the next one to play. I have checked some iLounge archives regarding this problem and the suggested solution of ensuring tracks are “checked” doesn’t seem to apply in my case as all are already checked. Is there any difference because they are podcasts?
A: The likely cause of this problem is that you have your iPod set to enable “Shuffle” mode, and your podcasts are marked as “Skip when Shuffling” (which is the default setting for new podcasts).
When shuffling playback, either from the main “Shuffle Songs” menu option, or from within a playlist, those tracks marked as “Skip when Shuffling” will not be played. If all of the tracks in an entire playlist are marked to be skipped, then only the first selected track is played, and the playlist will then end.
The solution is to either disable “Shuffle” on the iPod (under Settings, Shuffle) when playing podcasts, or to mark the podcasts themselves to not be skipped when shuffling. This latter option can be found by selecting a track in iTunes, and choosing File, Get Info. The track properties should appear, and on the “Options” tab, simply UNcheck the box marked “Skip when Shuffling” and save the track.
This can also be applied to multiple tracks at once by selecting several tracks before choosing the Get Info option.
Unfortunately, these changes will only apply to existing podcast episodes. New episodes that are downloaded will still have the “Skip when Shuffling” setting enabled by default.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ConnectSense Smart Outlet adds power monitoring, reduces price
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple partners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Report about Apple Pay in Japan hints at Oct. 25 release for iOS 10.1
- Apple Pay adds 20+ new U.S. banks and credit unions, MBNA Canada coming ‘mid-2017’
- Misfit launches Phase smartwatch
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps