Playing podcasts sequentially
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have created a playlist in order to listen to a selection of podcasts but unfortunately only one podcast plays and then I have to manually select the next one to play. I have checked some iLounge archives regarding this problem and the suggested solution of ensuring tracks are “checked” doesn’t seem to apply in my case as all are already checked. Is there any difference because they are podcasts?
A: The likely cause of this problem is that you have your iPod set to enable “Shuffle” mode, and your podcasts are marked as “Skip when Shuffling” (which is the default setting for new podcasts).
When shuffling playback, either from the main “Shuffle Songs” menu option, or from within a playlist, those tracks marked as “Skip when Shuffling” will not be played. If all of the tracks in an entire playlist are marked to be skipped, then only the first selected track is played, and the playlist will then end.
The solution is to either disable “Shuffle” on the iPod (under Settings, Shuffle) when playing podcasts, or to mark the podcasts themselves to not be skipped when shuffling. This latter option can be found by selecting a track in iTunes, and choosing File, Get Info. The track properties should appear, and on the “Options” tab, simply UNcheck the box marked “Skip when Shuffling” and save the track.
This can also be applied to multiple tracks at once by selecting several tracks before choosing the Get Info option.
Unfortunately, these changes will only apply to existing podcast episodes. New episodes that are downloaded will still have the “Skip when Shuffling” setting enabled by default.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, and 9.7” iPad now available to order
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10