Podcast support on older iPod models
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I want to buy my dad an older iPod just for his car drives, but I want it to be podcast compatible. What is the oldest/cheapest model I could buy for this purpose?
A: Technically speaking, Podcast support was first introduced in iTunes 4.9 and as a firmware update for the fourth-generation iPod about three years ago. Very limited podcast support was added to the third-generation iPod, which in reality was just iTunes organizing podcasts into a “Podcasts” playlist on the iPod itself.
Therefore, the minimum iPod model with full podcast support would be the fourth-generation (4G) iPod. The iPod mini also had limited podcasting support, although features like bookmarking of podcasts did not work reliably on the iPod mini itself.
Depending upon the number of podcasts and other music tracks that your father intends to store and listen to, however, it may worth looking at an early-generation iPod nano as opposed to the larger hard-drive based models. Podcasts are relatively small since they are generally spoken-word audio and therefore encoded at much lower bit-rates than music. Further, since the iPod nano is flash-based, you’re much less likely to run into technical problems related to the hard drive.
Even a low-capacity (1GB/2GB) iPod nano should easily be able to store hundreds of podcast episodes, and still leave room for a handful of CDs. Typical used prices for these models are slightly below even the lowest prices we’ve found on eBay for the larger hard-disk based iPod models.
Our Free iPod + iPhone Book 4 provides a summary on page 124 of average selling prices on eBay for various iPod models.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- Apple reveals(RED) iPhone 7, 7 Plus models, doubles storage of iPhone SE
- Apple drops 32GB iPad mini 4, reduces price of 128GB model and discontinues iPad mini 2
- Apple unveils new upgraded entry-level 9.7” iPad, replacing iPad Air 2
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10