Porting Musicmatch Library to iTunes - Protected WMA
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a couple hundred albums in my Musicmatch Library. I just got a new iPod and when I try to drag files from my “My Music” folder to my ITunes library, I receive an error message saying, “The songs being added are in the protected WMA format and can not be converted to AAC format (required by Apple). ITunes can only convert unprotected WMA songs.�? How can I get my Musicmatch library into my iPod?
- Scott A. Ortkiese
A: For music that’s in MP3 format, there’s no problem, but if you’re working with protected WMA songs, there’s bad news. As iTunes says, it can only convert unprotected WMA files, those that contain no DRM (digital rights management) information. You might want to check your Musicmatch library to determine how many of your files are in fact protected WMA, and how many are not – you might save yourself a bit of unnecessary frustration.
If you have lots of protected WMA files, there’s a workaround. You probably won’t like it much if you have to convert hundreds of albums: you can always burn these songs onto audio CDs, then import them into iTunes, but you’ll likely lose some quality as the files are decompressed during burning then recompressed when you import them. If you don’t wan’t to waste hundreds of CD-Rs, you could do this process with a handful of CD-RW discs; it’s obviously a time commitment, but would save your library. For obvious reasons, this is one of the biggest problems with on-line music purchases: the different companies (Apple, Microsoft, Real, etc.) won’t agree on a common format, and consumers get burnt. Sorry you have to go through this hassle.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!