Praise for Apple’s iPod Warranty Support | iLounge Article

Article

Praise for Apple’s iPod Warranty Support

Because we’re interested in sharing and hearing about users’ experiences with different parts of the iPod ownership experience, this news update discusses our pleasant surprise with an iPod warranty experience we had within the last 24 hours. We’d like to hear about your experiences - positive or negative - primarily with iPod technical and warranty support, so please use the comments section at the tail end of this message to share your thoughts.

Ugh! Time to Call for Repairs!

If you hate dealing with warranty-related repairs and replacements, join the crowd. In the past two or three years, American consumers have watched almost helplessly as their warranties have become harder to enforce, with all sorts of sneaky new corporate techniques rearing their ugly heads. Outsourced offshore technical support and warranty repair departments have become more common, as have Byzantine “resolution” bureaucracies and other downright dishonest practices.

Apple’s iPod support isn’t perfect - in fact, even though an iPod’s warranty lasts for a year, Apple mandates an unusual $29.95 “shipping and handling fee” for any iPod repair performed after the first six months, which we don’t like. And we haven’t always liked how certain “Geniuses” at Apple Store Genius Bars have handled iPod-related support issues, either - no offense to any particular Genius out there, as many of them (and most of the non-Genius staff of Apple Stores) are great.

That said, when we had to call Apple recently for replacement service, the AppleCare staff sure impressed us with three aspects of their warranty support. And because they did such a great job, we wanted to take the time to praise them here.

Our Three Good Experiences

First, given that we’re living in an age when technical support requests to companies such as Dell frequently take hours to resolve or go unanswered (not to mention underanswered, improperly answered or dishonestly answered), we were impressed by the wait time for an Apple representative: only around two minutes. The company’s AppleCare telephone menu system was easy to navigate and quickly delivered our call to a friendly, understandable human support assistant who had the authority to resolve our concern on the spot. This was especially impressive by contrast to the bureaucracy and delays that characterize so many other companies’ warranty support departments.

Second, we were happy to learn that accessories included with the iPod are apparently not subject to Apple’s $29.95 shipping fee. Apple offered to replace our accessory, which had a plastic problem we were not responsible for, without dispute, delay, or an extra charge. This too was a welcome change from the lengthy, pointless and generally dilatory procedures we’ve previously experienced.

Third, our replacement arrived in fewer than 24 hours from the time we called about it. While this used to be a common enough occurrence amongst major electronics companies several years ago, we were impressed to see it happen today.

It’s worth noting that we never mentioned that we were reporters or otherwise requested special treatment - we were just “average joes” on the phone and yet felt very well-served by the end of the call. The net result of Apple’s warranty service in this case was some very happy customers who felt even better about the somewhat higher purchase price of the iPod.

What Have Your Apple and iPod Technical/Warranty Support Experiences Been Like?

Our experiences may or may not be typical, so we’d like to hear about yours. Please take a minute to post your stories and thoughts in the comments box below.

For a complete list of Apple resources, including service and support, check our Links page.

« Heir to Walkman’s Throne

Our Favorite iPod AppleScripts »

Comments

I needed my ipod remote replaced. It has a shaky contact. So i went to the apple store i bought my ipod from (next byte), and two days later apple gave me a new remote. They didn’t need an id or proof of purchase. Only my ipod serial number. Very quick

Posted by Mauly on March 12, 2004 at 12:23 AM (CST)

My PCI Firewire card fried my 2G iPod, but it was in warranty and Apple said it was no problem to return it for a refund.  Their carrier picked it up from me, but after six months of promises I’d have the money “within 5 working days” I eventually had to take Apple to a small claims court.

Apple’s technical support in Europe really sucks.  Really.  They told me I had to deal with their Windows-specific iPod support team, but they had never used Windows—and freely admitted it.  The guy told me what to do with Finder, and I had to translate into Explorer (not difficult, but funny for a Windows specialist).

I was lucky if I was put through to someone who spoke English, too.  One time, I was directed to a recorded message in French.  Most of the time, the agents spoke in such badly broken English, it was impossible for them to be of any help.

They settled my claim out of court, I got a very friendly phonecall from the London office, and I swore myself off ever owning another iPod…

...until the 3G came out, and I got a better Firewire card.

Posted by Jon Eccleston in UK on March 12, 2004 at 4:05 AM (CST)

My ipod needed a new battery and my 90 day warenty had ended the day before i called and apple would not replace the battery unless i bought the $60 care and protection plan!

Posted by Eman880 on March 12, 2004 at 5:04 AM (CST)

Mauly—

“I needed my ipod remote replaced. It has a shaky contact.”

EXACT SAME THING happened to me.

I called Apple, and I had a new remote on my doorstep in 19 HOURS.  WOW.

^^^^  Has happened to me twice.  I’ve gotten the same service both times.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on March 12, 2004 at 6:26 AM (CST)

i have more of a question—can you buy the extended warrenty on your iPod if you are still within your 1 year warrenty?

Posted by badkitty on March 12, 2004 at 8:51 AM (CST)

Had to send my first 3G 20gig back because HDD just died.  It went there and back in just a little over a week.  So overall a good experience.  Only negatives were:
Apples website for getting support sucks
Apples website for tracking support sucks worse
There is no feedback about status of support
Still got a new one back and am happy once again.

Posted by Abahd Fugufish on March 12, 2004 at 9:10 AM (CST)

I’ve never posted here before however I’m a constant reader of these forums. My apple support experience is unique from all of these others in that it did not deal with an Apple iPod but a Graphite iMac DV (450 Mhz G3 processor?). This computer was my mom’s new iMac that I’d pushed on her telling her how much better Macs were than PCs. After she bought it she got it opened it up and set it up… it worked great for about a week until files started disappearing and the computer just decided to stop booting sometimes. We called Apple and asked what was wrong and they lead us through several steps including hard drive replacement, motherboard replacement, OS Reinstall, OS Fresh Install and nothing fixed the problem. Finally my mom got so tired of dealing with them she started screaming to the sales associates that she just wanted her money back. They wouldn’t listen so we threatened to go to small claims court. My mom tried one more thing. She opened up Sherlock and typed in “Steve Jobs e-mail address” and out of the random results picked a few and e-mailed them. The NEXT day my mom got a call from Steve Job’s executive secretary asking about the problem and promising a full replacement. About a week later we had a brand new Indigo iMac (550 Mhz w/ CD-R (vs. the DVD-ROM in the iMac DV)) < it took about 3 months to get here. I was quite happy to get this but it made my mom a bit weiry of Apple products. When OS X came out I immediately upgraded her using the free OS for Teachers program (she’s a librarian for the public schools) and ever since the replacement of the iMac things have gone great. Its been about 5 years since the initial purchase and the only work since it was replaced that I’ve done to it has been the software updates and an upgrade to the RAM. My mom loves macs now and is thinking of buying my older brother in New York (I’m in Alabama) an Apple Powerbook for his birthday. Apple Support is always nice and always tries but sometimes you have to try going beyond them if things get bad (e-mailing the CEO/ threatening to take to small claims court). I

Posted by Jody on March 12, 2004 at 10:27 AM (CST)

When I got the dreaded “folder with exclamation mark” logo on my iPod screen, that would not go away no matter what I tried, I logged onto the Apple service website and set up a repair job (my iPod was still under warrenty).  In a couple of days I received a return box, and pre-paid shipping label.  I sent my iPod back to apple and it was returned within a week.

Altogether it was a painless experience (apart from being separated from my iPod)

In contrast to Abahd’s experience (above), I found the Apple website informative.

Posted by YYWWVV on March 12, 2004 at 11:13 AM (CST)

Posted by omgwtf on March 12, 2004 at 1:18 PM (CST)

My iPod got the ‘folder & exclamation point’ that would not go away. I when to Apple’s website and put in a request for repair.  When my request finally went through (it took several tries before it did) I received a package with instructions about 2 days later.  I mailed the iPod back on a Thursday and received my new 30 gig iPod on Tuesday of that next week.  I was still in warranty.  My experience with their support service has been a good one even with trying to order and getting an error message but my credit card ends up being charged for an Apple purchase that wasn’t.  E-mailing support has been a good experience for me with my problem being resolved quickly and friendly.

Posted by Honeybee1236 on March 12, 2004 at 1:27 PM (CST)

I had a faulty 3G iPod remote.  I went to the Apple Store in SoHo, told a worker there that it wasn’t working properly.  He promptly took it from my hand and 5 min. later presented me with a new remote.  He never asked for a receipt, my serial number or even my name.  Wham, Bam, thank you Apple!

Posted by fasheezy on March 12, 2004 at 2:36 PM (CST)

“can someone explain why there is a 90 day and a 1year warranty? i thought there were only the 1 year warranty and then you could extend that to 2 years…”

90 days phone support 1 year parts.

apple care extends both to 2 years.

Posted by Johnny 5 on March 12, 2004 at 3:33 PM (CST)

My son’s 2nd generation 20GB iPod’s screen was acting up, showing lines and artifacts.  He showed it to me on last Christmas Eve, which happened to be the last day of his 1 year warranty.  We were going to the Apple Store in Mall of America over the holidays so I planned on taking it in then.  But I knew the warranty would then be over, so at 11:30 PM (just minutes before his warranty would expire) I bought the extended warranty for $59 online.  When we got to the Apple store a few days later, they verified the extended warranty and handed over a brand new 20GB iPod.  Both my son and I were very pleased.

Posted by Larry on March 12, 2004 at 4:01 PM (CST)

The plastic insulation at the base of my Ipod earphone connector had come off, leaving the wiring inside exposed. I took it to the Apple store in Soho (NYC) and showed it to one salesman. He pointed to the cord, which was (loosely) wrapped around the Ipod, and said, We can’t replace it, the way you’re wrapping it has put “stress” on the earphone line. This was absurd, so I promptly unwrapped it and showed the Ipod to another salesguy. He gave me a slip of paper with the URL of the Ipod service site on it. I went to the site, filled out the form—they didn’t ask me to send in the connector, just input my serial number—and within a couple days I received a new set of earphones. (Well, the first half, anyway, up through the remote control.) So, other than the first bonehead at the Apple store, no complaints at all. (Though that guy was ridiculous…)

Posted by Richard Blow on March 12, 2004 at 5:46 PM (CST)

My 1 Gen iPod was a month from the end of the warranty period when I got the dreaded file/exclamation point.  It also wouldn’t hold a charge.  I got on line explained the problem and received an email saying a box was coming to return it.  7 days later I received a replacement.  This happened about 8 months ago.  iPod still going strong.  Apple did not charge me anything.

Posted by pkradd on March 12, 2004 at 5:53 PM (CST)

My 15 Gb 3gen iPod’s HDD went dead. I went on apples web site and had them send a repair box. I sent it unwillingly.. @ days later I got a box back and it was a new one.. No questions asked…  THANKS APPLE !!!!

Posted by Stephen1424 on March 12, 2004 at 8:05 PM (CST)

the firewire connector on my firewire cable detached from the white plastic protector that goes over the metal connection.  It still works, but it looks like crap (i like my things nice and neat…especialy those things i pay $430.00 for!).  i called the apple support line, and they said it would cost $30.00 for a new one.  i told them i wanted mine replaced, and they gave me a site to go to.  once i got there, not only did it not clearly lead me to where i wanted to go, but it told me replacing MY cable would cost $69.00.  this confused me quite a bit…$30 for a new, or $69 to glue the connector back on?  so i said screw it…now whenever i unplug firwire from the AC into the 6 to 4 pin adapter, the plastic overlay falls off and slides down the cable…sigh :(

Posted by ssjtrunks585 on March 12, 2004 at 10:38 PM (CST)

Consumer Reports did a large-scale survey, and among PC Makers, Apple is top in EVERY category for both support AND hardware reliability. (One of the categories was indeed the speed/ease of their phone support.)

Posted by Nagromme on March 12, 2004 at 11:01 PM (CST)

I’ve had nothing but -GREAT- experiences with Apple’s Warrenty Support. I’m currently on my 3rd iPod. the first had battery problems (big surprise there :P ). And the second had some pretty serious hard drive problems, random reboots, skipping songs, etc.

Both times, I used Apple’s online form to request service, and literally within ONE week, apple had sent me a box to return my iPod in, ordered a replacent iPod, and sent it back to me. For less than 7 days I was iPodless, and it was a cross-country delivery (I live in NY). No fuss, just simple and fast service.

I am -very- pleased.

(I just wish I could get an iPod that worked, the battery on this one isn’t looking so hot :P )

Posted by NightHawk The Sane in Rochester, NY on March 13, 2004 at 4:30 AM (CST)

I had a 30GB ipod battery die on me and I called Apple Care and spoke to a Very nice service tech. I was on hold for no more than five minutes and he came back and told me that he was sending me out a BRAND NEW 40GB. I received the unit that weekend. Their ipod support is great.

Posted by bob the goon on March 13, 2004 at 7:10 AM (CST)

My experience is truly unique…i had to pepair my 3 G iPod three times…so in half a year I had four iPods.it always happened the same.the metal on the iPods side got somehow pressed out and the iPod had a quite pregnant look.I used the first iPod for like 2 month and the sencond one I unsed just for a day and the other one had a nother problem.I could send songs on the iPod but I couldn’t listen to them…so I had to send this one back aswell…after I had sent in my first iPod and I called for the repair of the sencond one Apple told me that I’ll have to pay but somehow I finally managed that I didn’t had to pay.and there was a nother problem.the first three iPods came back to me in like two weeks but the fourth one had like a month and as I called apple after two weeks they were like oh we’re waiting for a new load of iPods to come…and I waited and waited…and hey they didn’t even renew my 90 days warranty…!!
So I have to say that I would buy an iPod again…anytime.if apple care works it’s really goog and quicke but it doesn’t work always and that’s really bad especially if you have to send in your iPod three times!!!!

Posted by pia on March 13, 2004 at 7:29 AM (CST)

to clarify the warranty it’s a 1 year hardware warranty and 90 days telephone support warranty. You can purchase applecare anytime within the 1st year, and not a day later.

Posted by dave on March 13, 2004 at 10:05 AM (CST)

When i first got my iPod (July of 2003, i believe…) I was using the original appple earbud headphones.  Within a week of use, the right earbud developed a buzz if it was over half of the volume level.  I had begun to use the normal behind the head headphones, as they sounded much better to begin with.  I didn’t care as much about getting the new headphones, but it was the principle of having my $400 investment be perfect…

I had apple send the headphones to my business location so I would not miss the UPS guy.  They conveniently forgot to add the suite number of my office so it showed up to the building but they had no specific place to deliver it.  I called back a second time and they claim to have sent out the first pair, and sent out another that also never got there.  I then had them send it to my home address.

Here it is, March and I have been waiting at least 8 months for my apple earbuds.

Posted by Alex Halper on March 13, 2004 at 3:06 PM (CST)

I dropped my 30 GB iPod in a parking lot.  I tried to listen to it, but alas, received the dreaded folder with an exclamation point that would not go away no matter what I tried.  Luckily, I was twenty minutes away from an Apple Store.  I received help at the Genius Bar, where one of the “genuises” ran the iPod through a diagnostics mode that revealed a failed HDD.  He went to the back and reappeared with a new 30 GB iPod.  I wanted to have a heart attack after dropping my beloved iPod, but I can’t complain with how well Apple took care of me.  It’s nice to know the warranty worked in my favor.

Posted by Daniel Gross on March 13, 2004 at 9:07 PM (CST)

My 3G 15 GB iPod remote also had the wires become exposed twice. The first time I took it back to the shop where I bought it as it was still very new and got a replacement, and the second time I took it to the gorgeous Apple Store in Tokyo where they promptly gave me a new one again. In between these instances the lock switch onb teh remote fell out so I called Apple Support here in Japan and 2 days later had a new remoter part as well. I have had all good experiences.

Posted by CJI on March 14, 2004 at 5:00 AM (CST)

The hold button failed on my 40 gig iPod, and to complicate things, I was on the road, far far away from the Apple stores back home.

Fortunately, I was due to spend a couple days near the Mall Of America in Minnesota, and I dropped by its Apple Store.  They took a look at it, showed me how it would still work if I pressed on the case the right way.  However, they knew that it wasn’t good enough (I didn’t even have to complain… cool!), and after letting them know that my iBook was traveling with me, they brought out a brand new replacement.

I told my coworkers about the exchange, and it blew their minds.  My own word-of-mouth can help Apple even better than the usual advertising, and Apple gave me something to crow about.

I’m typing this from my local Apple store, where I just got my iBook’s power adapter replaced, no questions asked.  Good deal!

Posted by Leland on March 14, 2004 at 2:14 PM (CST)

I REALLY REALLY like the ipod support in my state anyways. i’ve had my ipod break 3 times so far. each one was not exactly the biggest problem and the ipod itself was still functional but instead of shipping it and fixing it they just took my old one and gave me a new one. so i’ve had 3 new ones so far ^^

Posted by iPodFreak on March 14, 2004 at 4:09 PM (CST)

Apple support has been pretty good to me.

I’ve owned 2 iPods and both had hard drive failures.  They were under warranty and and Apple shipped me refurbished units within days.  I’ve had 2 accessories die on me (case and wired remote) and in both cases they just sent me a new one. Both were received within days.

The only problem I had was that in one instance I was outside of the 90 day phone limit.  So, instead of paying the $30 fee to get support, I bought the AppleCare plan for $50.  After that, they just sent me a new unit.

Overall, Apple has been pretty good.  For example, with Palm handhelds, even if there is a manufacturing defect, they make you pay shipping!

Posted by ItIsOK on March 14, 2004 at 4:34 PM (CST)

I’ve never had a problem with apple support.  I spilled a beer on my TiBook keyboard.  and it stopped working.  called apple support and told them the keyboard wasn’t working.  They had me try a few things.  never asked what happend and 3 days latter I had a box with a new keyboard in it.

Posted by Steve on March 15, 2004 at 1:45 PM (CST)

the wire to my ipod remote is loose which causes my lots of problems.  I called apple and they said that it would cost me $45 CAN to send me another remote.  The part is replaced for free but i have to pay for the shipping.  I gracefully declined.  Then they offered me the care package for $89 CAN which would cover everything for 2 years.
This is my only experience with the service dept.

Posted by paulp on March 15, 2004 at 3:43 PM (CST)

I have a touch Wheel oldschool 20gb guy, almost a year old.  Initially, i tried it with my dell inspiron 2650 1.7ghz , 512mb ram, configured to the best of the ipodlounge’s ability-still tops at ~2.5MB/s.

So, i replaced the dell’s mobo.  No difference.

I lived with it until today.  Recently, i tried it with my brandy new self built beauty.  AMD64 3000+, 1gb ram, 200gb hd, Radeon 9600xt, the works.  I still maxed out at 2.5MB/s, still configured to the best of my/my researches ability.  I figured that the iPod just hates my PC’s, so i was willing to live with it.

Then, i went to school, and was going to transfer my Film editing homework.  Thats right, 2 ~8GB files—cant ask for a more efficient data transfer…  Oh yes, it is a smashing new G5, dual 2ghz(i think) max ram, a real beauty as far as apples go.  it took an amazing amount of time.  According to the transfer numbers, i calculated just less than 2MB/s.  Not Cool.

So, figuring that its not as great as could be (the G5), i went to my mac addict teacher, who, also owns an ipod.  BTW, he gets easily 6-8MB/s on his G3 notebook, which i asked to try transfering from… Still, transfer speed in the crapper.

So, i had enough, as of today at 2pm est.  I called Apple.  Seemingly, even though i have a 1 year warentee, i could not talk to anyone about it, troubleshoot/send in for warentee, because it was past my 90 days for my ‘phone support’.

irritated as i was about this (honestly—- no tech support during a warentee time?  my dell has phone support forever…) i went onto the web site, which decided that my Zip code was incorrect with my county.  fine, ill live with it, and put my zip code, and the county it claimed it was.  set up the return, and i am now waiting for the box.  I coulda sworn that apple was an easy company to work with…

Hopefully, i can get back another OldSchool 20GB boy, otherwise all the cases i have are down the crapper, as well as my collection of Firewire cables, collected trying to solve this problem.

Before this, i had apple replace 3 sets of earbuds, that kept falling apart, then i decided to buy some sony MD ones.  EAch of those replacements were prompt, but i assumed they would be put together better than this.

I pray that apple does a good job on this one too.

Posted by Erich on March 15, 2004 at 3:50 PM (CST)

>>update on replacing the remote and buds

i called apple canada again and i told them i was using the ipod on a mac not on a pc.  Now they are sending me the remote and buds free of charge and they said it will be here by the end of the week.
strange isnt it

Posted by paulp on March 15, 2004 at 4:05 PM (CST)

My headphones are actting up too, any one have the link?  i cant seem to find it on the website…

Posted by Richard Willaims on March 15, 2004 at 7:34 PM (CST)

Never Mind i found it

Posted by Richard Williams on March 15, 2004 at 7:41 PM (CST)

My 3G 20gb ipod’s software recently became corrupted and all attempts to restore it failed (it even started crashing Panther). After hours of tinkering I finally gave up and phoned the technical support. They were generally very helpful although both representatives had difficulty understanding me, mainly due to a poor line.

After discussing the problem, they said they’d happily repair it. I was expecting to have to pay postage however I was told it would be picked up within 4 days.

The next day, a courier arrived for my ipod! Was very impressed. 4 days later a brand new ipod was sent to me.

In contrast, my DVD player recently stopped working. I took it back to the Sony Centre I bought it from. They then sent it 3 miles down the road (White City, London) to be repaired and I didn’t see it for over 4 weeks. My ipod was collected and returned within a week.

Was also very impressed that they only needed the seriel number on the ipod (I wasn’t sure if I even HAD receipts as I bought it online).

One worry though; the courier who collected it said he’d picked up 3 others that morning from my area, and his office were picking up 100’s a month (they just do West London). If you look at the refurb shop on a Wednesday, they always have refurb ipods now whereas they were seldom available before. Something dodgy going on?

Posted by Ian on March 16, 2004 at 7:04 AM (CST)

I have to say that people who damage their Apple stuff because of accidents, negligence, etc (dropping an iPod, spilling beer) and who get Apple to replace their item under warranty are causing the rest of us with valid problems a great inconvenience. It’s no wonder Apple Care is so expensive and that they’re swamped with idiots wasting their time: Apple is too nice!

Posted by michael on March 16, 2004 at 8:38 AM (CST)

My iPod must’nt die!
Noe

Posted by Bobby Peru on March 16, 2004 at 12:47 PM (CST)

I purchased my i-pod in July 2003 and by January 2004 the battery was only giving me about two hours playing time.

I finally returned it in February and after 3 weeks I am still waiting.

Apple have admitted that it’s a hardware problem and they are supplying me with a totally new i-pod but they are out of stock and they are unable to give me any idea when they will get a delivery.

A totally unsatisfactory situation which leads me to think that when I need to buy an mp3 player for my kids it won’t be an i-pod.

Posted by Frank Trivino on March 17, 2004 at 1:09 AM (CST)

I had purchased an ipod on amazon and about 2-3 weeks after using it i got the sad ipod face after hearing the HD thrash about and getting write error on loading songs.

I took it to the local apple store and the first genius I spoke to was not super helpful mainly because he told me it would take 2 weeks to get a replacement ipod back to me.

However, 3 days later I got a call to come in and get my replacement.

About 2 months ago, my ipod developed a bulge on the side of it and so I took it back to the store.  This time the genius took it into the back and a couple minutes later came back with it fixed and flush.

Overall, I have been quite pleased with the service.  I plan to pick up the AppleCare before the 1 year period is up mainly because the repair expense is so high after the warranty expires.

We will be picking up another ipod for my wife in the coming months as we have been pleased with the ipod and it was nice that they just swapped out the broken ipod for a new one pretty quick.

Posted by John on March 17, 2004 at 8:36 AM (CST)

I have now been an owner of an iPod for 4 months. Unfortunately, I have only had a working iPod for TWO weeks, the rest of the time it has been at Apples repair service or in the damn mail! They cannot give me an answer as to when I can espect my product back either… I regret ever buying an iPod.

My experience is to the European Apple service, sounds like the US has got a better deal.

Posted by Einar on March 17, 2004 at 10:38 AM (CST)

bad experience…I’ve called Apple canada to replace my earphones with the warranty , they said I’ll receive it in 5 days….still waiting 6 months later !!!!!

Posted by Vince on March 17, 2004 at 1:13 PM (CST)

yesterday, when i tried to bootup my iPod, it gave me that infamous ‘exclamation mark, folder’ picture. i wasnt happy because i had more than just music on my iPod. i had video projects, pictures, documents…etc.

anyway, my mom took it to our local apple store (she works in a mall where the store was, so it was easier for her to just take it).
my mom walked in, said ‘My sons iPod is not working’ - he then took it, ran a quick diagnosic on it, and found a major HDD error, and all data was irrecoverable. he then said “hold on, let me go into the back and a new one for you”. he then proceeded to do the paperwork, then handed my mom the new iPod, no hassels or anything.

BTW, my iPod lasted for 6 months, so it was still under warrenty.

Posted by Tim on March 17, 2004 at 7:21 PM (CST)

My 20gig ipod that i got last october failed me when i reformatted it to use as an external HD for backing up my Dell Laptop.  Now I always get the dreaded folder icon and have no way to remove my important files from the drive because it won’t recognize anymore on any platform.  If there is some way to access the information on my ipod’s HD so that I can continue basking in musical bliss I would be much obliged.

Apple was unable to solve my problem, they will a)reformat my drive or b)send me a new one.  I guess that’s better than nothing.

Posted by michael on March 18, 2004 at 12:36 PM (CST)

I bought 20gig iPod from Amazon.com but it came with defective LCD.  called tech support and they said i could get it replaced at one of the retail stores.  so i drove 40 miles to get there becaused i needed the ipod soon.

but the tech support neglected to tell me that i would be getting a refurb ipod!  the “Geniuses” tried to tell me that refurb is just like new one.  (yeah, except it could have been used by another person for god-knows-how-long)  i told them i didn’t pay brand new ipod price to get a refurb ipod and they suggested that i have to get replacement through Amazon.com.  complete lunacy!  i just drove 40 miles to hear this???

long story short, i had the replacement ipod two days after i filed request through Amazon.com’s website and i didn’t even have to speak to any “Geniuses”.

in my book, Amazon.com whops Apple’s behind when it comes to customer service.

Posted by Myong on March 18, 2004 at 1:04 PM (CST)

I have a 3g 15 gig ipod that i got last july. When i went for a family reunion, my mac using uncle pointed out that re wire sleve for my remote had pulled out of the remote casing. When i called apple about it, they didnt ask any questions, just send me a new remote which i had 18 hours later. Very much appreciated. My battery just died, holding about a 1.5 hour charge, so when i called to have it repaired, i found out it could only be done by sending it in to apple…. i would much rather take it to a local dealer, but fair enough. So i get the web link from people at tech support who tell me im out of my 90 days of phone support so the call will cost 50 bux (canadian). When i tried the link and had to enter my info, i saw that most of it was entered for me, so i thought great, only couple of blanks,this is great. BUT, when i went to the next stage, all i got was an error message. No matter what i tried, all i got was an error. So i called phone support again to find out the already knew the link doesnt work. I then found out the shipping and handling is 50 bux plus tax but the extended waranty for students it only 71 which includes S&H so for 21 dollars i obviously take the extended waranty. Still waiting for my box to send back the ipod but i must say, my experience with the remote was much better than the unit itself. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE my ipod… in fact I cant live without it. But 3 things bother me about it: If i need to pay to have it serviced, is it truly waranty work? Why the hell dont they let dealers fix it? Second, is it just me, or do other people have their ipods severely scuffed from the provided carrying case? and finally I am very disappointed with the accesories that i paid extra for. The only thing i find useful is the dock. The remote is made to clip onto womens blouses, the clip is too small and wont hold onto anything if you move, and the carrying case scuffed up my ipod, no matter how much i clean it.

Posted by Justin on March 19, 2004 at 12:04 AM (CST)

My 14 month old 2G 10Gig IPOD received the dreaded folder icon as soon as I plugged the unit into my firewire cable. I had just puchased a few new itunes… The IPOD got quite warm.  The thing had been creating a very strange high pitched whine when starting up for about a week or so. I guess that was important in retrospect. None of the Apple support troubleshooting steps worked. Apple offered to repair it for $249 plus shipping…. Uh….. So I went to Best Buy and bought a 3G 20GIG unit plus a 4 year warranty for an extra $39.99 last night.  That should cover me for a while.

Posted by Tiptonium on March 19, 2004 at 1:43 PM (CST)

I have 20gb unit since christmas which I bought in the U.S. last month the carring case clip snapped off so i rang apple in Ireland where i live and they were not very helpfull. They told me that the case was not included in the warranty and it would cost 60 euro to replace. Can anyone tell me if the case should be under warranty.

Posted by Andy on March 19, 2004 at 1:58 PM (CST)

A month after I got my 3G 20 GB iPod, the left earbud developed an odd buzzing. I called up Apple, and the guy I talked with said he’d send me a new pair of earbuds with no questions asked. The next day, I checked my mail, only to find a brand-new pair of earbuds shipped via priority mail.

Because of service like that, it’s highly likely that I’m now going to buy the AppleCare support plan for my iPod.

Posted by Matt on March 19, 2004 at 3:41 PM (CST)

I’ve had the “syndrom of the wacky remote contact” too. I opened a trouble ticket on Apple’s support site, on the Switzerland local Apple site, after phoning Apple Support Switzerland. You have to indicate the day of purchase and the iPod’s serial number.

A week afterwards the status of my request hadn’t changed, so I gave Apple another phone call. I was very surprised when the support guy on the phone admitted he had never heard of this trouble ticket option on the Apple site… (no joke). But he said he’d check what had gone wrong with my request. And lo and behold, two days after that I had a padded envelope in my mailbox, and there was the new remote.

The system in itself wasn’t 100% perfect, but that’s mainly because I had to call and enquire, and some person was misinformed. Apple’s iPod Warranty works fine, and that’s what counts in the end. ;-)

Posted by Macounette on March 20, 2004 at 12:53 PM (CST)

I had my iPod only 1 1/2 weeks before it froze up completely.  I couldn’t put it in disk mode, couldn’t reset it, the PC wouldn’t even see it so I could restore it.  I started a support call with Apple on Sunday afternoon.  By Tuesday at 11:00 AM, the box they sent me to return it (shipping paid) was already here.  I sent it that very afternoon, and by Thursday they had already looked at it and determined it should be replaced.  Friday they shipped the new iPod and Saturday I had it in my hot little hands, no thanks to Airborne Express (but Airborne’s lack of proper service is a whole other story.)  Anyway, you are always going to have problems from time to time with devices.  It is how the company handles the support incidents that matters.  I had expected this to take 2-3 weeks at best and to receive a new iPod back on the SEVENTH day is impressive.  I would and do recommend iPod to everyone!

Posted by Jennifer on March 21, 2004 at 8:46 PM (CST)

I phoned up technical support because my remote wasn’t working. Person on the phone put me on hold for about 6-7 mins, then told me she would have a box sent out for me to ship my remote in, and that I would receive it in 2-4 days. Everyone I’ve read about said that Apple just sent them a new remote. It’s been 2 1/2 months and I still haven’t received that box. I didn’t bother calling them to see what’s up because it turned out I only needed to restart the iPod. With everyone saying how great warranty service is, I guess I got some b**** that didn’t give a s***.

Posted by kloan on March 21, 2004 at 9:06 PM (CST)

i have never had a problem with my ipod but i want to keep my songs on my ipod but off my harddrive. i however might want to add further song collections at a later point how do i do this. i am using a 3G 20gb ipod and a windows pc, can any body help me.

Posted by ben on March 22, 2004 at 10:26 AM (CST)

Not if you repeat like that.  How long have you had it?

Posted by Nader on March 22, 2004 at 11:39 AM (CST)

My 3G iPod started coming apart at the seams. It was shifting so that the metal back and the white front were not aligned laterally.

It was only a few millimeters, but I knew it would only get worse. I took it to an AppleStore hoping the genius could pop it back into place. Instead he took a quick look at it, said “do you want a new one?” and when I replied yes he hopped into the back and got me one.

Sweet.

Posted by CapitolK on March 22, 2004 at 2:57 PM (CST)

i have no idea why people don’t want to go get other headphones than what is included with the ipod.  I’ve never liked them, but then again, the earbuds did not fit well and of course the pads always fell off and got lost.  I’m not an audiophile, I don’t have to have the best sound, I’m just shocked that people care so much about the crappy headphones

Posted by Rachel on March 22, 2004 at 6:00 PM (CST)

I recently had a bad experience with Apple.  I ordered a computer online and as it turns out I got a bad computer from day one.  I was trying to deal with it for six mos until I exploded and I was terribly amazed at the poor customer service quality I was getting.
As it turns out, after bitching and complaining Apple replaced my motherboard, my RAM, my logic board and they entirely replaced my hard drive therefore I lost all of my data.  They did this because I got Apple care when I first bought the computer (6 mos ago).
now, as it turns out, i got my “new” computer and my ipod is not beign recognized on my desktop.  I instelled the software, but I have not been able to update my ipod (inlcuding completely erase my data on it).  I decided to call Apple care and as it turns out.. my 90 days apple care that covered my iPod had expired.
I could not believe it!! I am extremely disatisfied with the customer service Apple has provided me since day one.
Any ideas on how to fix my problem… my battery is working fine, but after getting my new computer and upgrading it to Panther… I have not been able to update my Ipod at all…

Posted by Fernie on March 22, 2004 at 7:34 PM (CST)

I too have problems with my remote.  What is the URL or number to contact Apple for a replacement?  I bought my iPod from the Apple site about 7 months ago.

Posted by Kevin on March 23, 2004 at 9:47 AM (CST)

A year ago, I purchase a new ipod remote with headphones.  The remote would discharge the battery once it was plugged in. This happened on a friend’s ipod when I plugged the remote into her’s.  After many frustrating hours on hold, apple told me that I could not return the remote.  They explained that the warranty on my ipod had already run.  My explanations that I bought the remote later were rejected.  Furthermore, they admitted they couldn’t figure out how to document a return of a remote.  Problem was never solved.

Posted by Jacinto on March 23, 2004 at 11:32 AM (CST)

My iBook’s sleep switch broke a little under a week before leaving for college.  I called Apple and they ran me through the usual diagnostic steps and determined it wasn’t gonna be fixed by zapping the PRAM, etc.  They overnighted a box..I then contacted Airborne to have it picked back up.  I got it back within 4 days.  I was amazed at the fast service…...which got blemished after I opened the box and discovered that they put a bunch of nasty scratches on the outside plastic for the screen.  I checked the box out and it shipped from my house to somewhere in Tennessee; from their it took a trip to Cornwell University or something like that in Texas, then back to Tennessee, then overnighted to me.  So I have a feeling some not-so-careful-caring guy at that school dropped a couple screwdrivers on it to ugly it up a little.  Other than that the support was excellent and my computer has been working perfect since.

Posted by Chris on March 24, 2004 at 8:13 AM (CST)

I suggest that a forum be created for those losers among us who had the misfortune to have an iPod die AFTER the warranty. Essentially, we are totally out of luck. Apple considers the iPod a disposable device, and will not answer my letters or email. I have replaced the battery, and had MacResQ take a look at it, and I am still stuck. MacResQ very *kindly* said that they would buy it from me for my $29 fee! Or, I could buy a refurbished one for $199! They are no better than Apple. After twenty years as a very loyal customer, I am switching to Windows. It’s not better, but at least there are a wide variety of service options.

Posted by NoMoreApple on March 24, 2004 at 1:08 PM (CST)

My remote had a hairline crack at the base where it attaches to the iPod. I took it into my local Apple store and the tech said to wrap it with some electrical tape. I don’t know about you guys but there is no way in hell I’m going to wrap any part of my beautiful pod in “electrical tape”. The remote still worked fine but I was afraid that the crack would grow larger and I would be out of warranty. I scoured through the Apple website but couldn’t find a tech number to call so I created an account and started a repair ticket. I wrote them a little note about the problem I had and in two days, a brand new remote was delivered to my door. I really must say that the Apple Support team is fantastic and even though I’m a bit ticked at my local Apple tech, I’m sure happy that the higher ups followed through in a very timely manner and sent a replacement to me. Kudos to Apple!!! This is why I will remain a loyal customer for many years to come. =D

Posted by initial b on March 25, 2004 at 11:23 AM (CST)

I must say that I was *very* pleasantly surprised by my recent experience with Apple support.

I ended up with the dreaded Bang folder display on my 30Gb 3G iPod.  None of the troubleshooting steps listed at Apple yeilded any change ....

First off I tried the webpage to submit a request for service;  Apparently the website doesn’t work for folks in Canada for some reason (can’t really guess as to why),  but it might be nice if they told you that, similar to the manner they do for the iTunes store.

Ended up calling support, which resulted in a return box arriving the very next day.

Now I’ve returned things before, but these guys have it down to poetry ... box has all the padding required, plastic slip cover for the iPod, shipping label, and the *tape* to seal the box with ... that’s attention to detail!

And just to add more fun into the mix,  I dropped the box off at the shipping depot on a weekend ....

Less than a week after my call to the support line, I’m back up and running with a “new” iPod and all is well ... And the replacement device was shipped from California to Canada!

People in my office are once again back to drooling over my iPod and trying to distract me so they can “borrow” it to see how it sounds ... overnight ...  <rolling eyes>

All in all, I must say that I stand in awe

Posted by Name and Address withheld on March 25, 2004 at 12:57 PM (CST)

I was thrilled when I finally got me an iPod and instantly turned off, when I saw that the brand-new iPod had a ugly crack all the way through the display, which left it pretty much useless. I called Apple (Canada) on a Sunday and by Tuesday the return box was at my house. The return box was for the iPod only, without sending all the accessories. After a few days, Apple called me to inform me that they were sorry that my first experience with my iPod was such an unpleasant one and that they actually had stock difficulties on the 15GB iPod, so I would have to wait a little longer for my iPod. Another couple days after that call Apple called me again too tell me, that they’re not going to refurbish the broken one, nor were they going too use the return box in which I send the broken one in. Rather that they decided to give me an all new, in the (original) box iPod and that all the accessories I had from my original purchase are mine too keep as sort of an apology gift from Apple and that this way I wouldn’t have to wait any longer. Apple called me one more time too apologize again (enough already!) for the inconvenience and too finally tell me that the iPod was on the way. I’ve been an Apple user since the late 80’s and this was the first time I ever needed to make any warranty claim with Apple, but the whole thing left me with the impression, that Apple does really care for their customers. I always have been an Apple user for a reason (never had a wintel PC) and the way Apple handled my warranty claim, only reminded me why I always stuck with Apple, even through the dark years.

Posted by Tschotsch on March 26, 2004 at 5:05 PM (CST)

Haven’t had as much luck…I’m in UK and I have an Ipod MIni….The firewire has a dodgy connection inside and as a result, doesn’t charge so I can’t use the mains adaptor. I called Apple UK and was told that because the Mini isn’t available here they couldn’t send me a replacement, even thought the guy admitted that the Mini uses the same wire as the 3G’s. So I called Apple US (v expensive!) and they told me that cos I was in UK, I would have to pay shipping and handling, even though it was a defective product! Have found that it’s cheaper to just go on the Apple.com site and buy a new wire…...am v annoyed! This is my first Ipod and my last!!!

Posted by alex hydell on March 27, 2004 at 10:09 AM (CST)

My iPod got the hard drive click of death after about 6 months, took it back to the shop and had a new one within 10 days. Very impressed.

Posted by loGan on March 28, 2004 at 6:05 AM (CST)

iPod mini service is nonexistent if you buy your item in the US, but want it repaired outside the US (i.e. in Europe) - that is, until July.  My 1-week old iPod mini was defective three days after I bought it in the US - whan I had returned to Europe.  The folks in the US Apple store had claimed that worldwide service is no problem.  A call to Apple service Europe, though, revealed that they can’t handle repairs yet - have to wait until July :-(

Posted by Andreas Zeller on March 28, 2004 at 7:33 AM (CST)

Hi, i have broken the LCD screen on my iPod 40gig. it’s totally my fault and I accept that but as the Ipod is working correctly I thought I could get the screen replaced.

I accepted I would have to pay for this as it is not covered under warranty (accidental damage)

I filled in the required from on the internet (I had to do this three times as each time I got a message to say try again later). I made sure I selected that this is not a repair under warrenty and I would accept the charge.

I was then sent a box to return the iPod in by post. (by a courier that would only deliver and collect in working hours - i.e. when I am at work).

today i recieved my Ipod back, un-repaired and without any explanation.

As far as I can see there is no e-mail address to contact the service department to see what is going on and I can only leave feedback which will not be replied to.

has anyone got any contact details so I can find out what happened, why my iPod was sent back unrepaired, and if they will repair it.

If not I will just have to buy an Iriver or something because I cannot spend another

Posted by Doug Brown on March 29, 2004 at 11:06 AM (CST)

My only experience:

First use of my new iPod, the cover on the firewire plug came off. Not a big deal, but annoying to use. Called support. Very friendly and helpful. I was told I’d get a replacement cable sent out ASAP at n/c, free shipping. That did happen, but I spent nearly an hour on the phone (it took 2 calls). Overall: very satisfied, especially with the friendly, no-? asked, rapid replacement.

Posted by Hank Moon on March 29, 2004 at 5:40 PM (CST)

I must say that I must be pretty lucky to get my iPod replaced or the techs at Apple is pretty darn generous. My iPod was knocked off it’s docking bay and a friend told me that I couldn’t get it replaced for free if it (or any other piece of electronics) was damaged in that fashion ... well, there was nothing outside the iPod that would tell a tech, “Hey! This iPod has been dropped, smashed, or sat on by an overweight fat kid!” Anywho, I synced the iPod and I couldn’t put more than 200 MB worth of songs in there so I called up Apple on a Friday night (I should of talked to a party-friend instead of tech support but I was pissed at my broken iPod) and the tech was generous enough to replace it for free (although, I had to spend some money on the APP because phone support was expired for my product, which was around 30-something dollars since I had an educational discount). The box came on a Monday, which was rather quick but heck! As long it gets fixed, that’s all that mattered to me.

The damaged iPod was shipped the next day. Then on Friday, that same week, I got a brand new iPod (I could tell because my old iPod was all scratched up when I mailed it out). That, and this one has a different serial number on it.

I have to say that those tech people are pretty darn generous if they’re willing to replace a broken iPod for free (if you don’t count the extended phone support that I paid for). Right now, I’m still jamming with my iPod, hooked up to my speaker system and without Apple’s tech support ... man ... I’d probably would of shriveled up and died in my room due to the lack of music. Okay, not really die but would surely be bored as heck! In my opinion, I think Apple shows the best support for anything, although, I can’t really say for certain since I only called them once. I guess if my iBook goes bad and still remains in warranty, I might call them up again ... but lets hope that doesn’t happen. I’d like my iBook to continue working until I’m ready to buy a G5.

Posted by KRC on March 29, 2004 at 6:59 PM (CST)

My iPod died and apple wouldn’t replace it eventhough it still had warranty on it. Im heartbroken >:(

Posted by Cesar Vega on March 29, 2004 at 10:59 PM (CST)

The iPod warranty works well also abroad: after buying a 40G iPod in NY, when I went back home (Italy7 I discovered the left earbud was “scratchy” at high volume: last Friday I called the Italian suppert center, and yesterday (Monday) I had a brand new set of earbuds in my mailbox. Great!!
I have been using Apple stuff since 1985, and I’ll never stop recommending them around.

Posted by Eleonora on March 30, 2004 at 3:16 AM (CST)

I just got my 40GB iPod in the mail yesterday.  It sounds like I should invest in the AppleCare for the extra $50, given the number of problems I have read about (even when it is well-cared-for).

I assume that buying the AppleCare on day 364 still only extends the warranty to a *total* of two years, and not two years from the day you buy the AppleCare, so I might as well buy it now, right?

Posted by Paul on March 30, 2004 at 4:05 PM (CST)

Without warning I got the dreaded folder signifying a HDD failure on my 30 GB Ipod.  I opened a ticket on Apple.com and within a week had a replacement Ipod up and running.

While I did not ever speak to anyone at Apple, the whole process was as painless as I could have hoped.

Posted by Jeff on March 30, 2004 at 5:34 PM (CST)

I have to say they were very fast with my problem, I have a 3G 20 GB and the remote stopped working, I filled out the online form sunday and a new one was here by Tuesday.  No charge at all, no questions, just great service.

Posted by Skny on March 31, 2004 at 5:30 AM (CST)

There support absolutly stinks. After one call it was $250 to replace a broken screen. Then after being re-routed about 5 times it was $700. He didn’t even say maybe I should buy two new ones instead. Then after about 5 over re-routes it turned to free. I don’t know I’ve had better expiriances.

Posted by Seth on March 31, 2004 at 9:31 PM (CST)

About a month ago, I bought a few new cds.  I went to plug my 3G 15 gig ipod into it’s dock, so I could listen to my new cds.  I had only had my ipod for about a month and I was really excited to put some new stuff on it.

One problem.  My computer (a PC) was not recognizing it at all!  I tried everything.  Finally, after hours of messing with the computer, ipod and dock, I called the apple tech support.  I only waited on the phone about 7 minutes before help arrived.  After staying on the phone with the tech for about an hour, but to no avail, he thought maybe it was the cable that connected the dock to the computer.  He said that he would send out a new cable to see if that worked.

The next day, I had the new cable in my mailbox.  I plugged it in and PRESTO!  My computer recognized my ipod!

Thanks to apple’s great support, I was able to solve the problem with a free new cable.

Posted by Tami on April 2, 2004 at 11:31 AM (CST)

Well… I bought my referbished 20GB from online apple store and it has some small dark shadow area (when using backlight).  Called in, talked to tech support and got the replacement withing 48 hours.  After playing around with the new one, I found out that the system can be frozen up easily by increasing the contrast to the maximum point.  I called in and expected to get the replacement.  This time they could not do that.  I had to bring it to nearest apple store to take a look first.)  Fortunately, there is a Apple store about 30 min driving.  The apple guys took a look at it, reset it and concluded that it’s defect.  Walk out the door with the new 30 iPod(not the referbished).  I got to love Apple warranty.  ... Maybe I will pay another $59 for the extended warranty since iPod seems to break quite easy.  I don’t need a 300-dollar paper weight.

Posted by B. on April 3, 2004 at 10:06 PM (CST)

I have a variety of Apple and PC stuff, and i have reason to hold all PC support in low esteem, once a bloody expensive Compaq which was top of line for CAD started playing up with an intermittent hang, Compaq’s own service came out under contract, ripped out my hard drive without telling me installed a new one, next day it was no better and i asked them where all my data was.. they reckoned the HD was useless but i said my pc was still not working they sent out another monkey who said it could not have been the hd and changed the motherboard, after about seven visits i had done no work lost a lot of valuable data they refused to return what was a working drive, finally our IT gave me a new Dell and took the Compaq back.. a few months later it transpired that as it was a new pc they forced a member of their own staff to have it who got pissed off and finally tracked the fault down to a hairline crack in the SCSI harddrive cable, replaced cable (a

Posted by iPodista in Wales UK on April 4, 2004 at 4:19 AM (CDT)

I bought my iPod at Best Buy.
After watching the entertaining, albeit slightly outdated movie at http://ipodsdirtysecret.com/ , it reinforced my pleasant decision to purchase the extended warranty through Best Buy.  For $14.95 I received a 3-year, no strings-attached, no questions asked, just walk-in to any Best Buy store replacement warranty.  If ANYTHING goes wrong with the iPod, I take it to any Best Buy, and I have a replacement.  If Best Buy no longer carries that model, I can either wait for Apple to send one, or I can get a full credit-refund for my original purchase price towards an upgrade in-store.  Even as great a product as the iPod is, with as many problems as people are reporting with them, you need something other than Apple’s warranty.

Posted by Rich on April 4, 2004 at 6:26 PM (CDT)

My story is a long one , which i’ll narrow down.

i had a 1st gen 5gig ipod that, 3 weeks outa warrenty started to fail with firewire port problems. i sent it to my apple store (place of purchase) expecting it to be fixed, for a small fee due to it being outa warrenty. 1 week goes by .. 2 weeks .. 4 weeks .. with me going into the store everyday to no luck. same responce ” cant seem to fix it, give me another week”.

so to cut to the chase *** 7 weeks later *** after i had placed it the apple store i phoned apple australia, discussed an extended warrenty and a replacement free of charge.

24 hours latter i have a new 5 gig in my hand.. 15 mins later it fails, same problem .. how could apple send me a busted replacement ? so i phone apple again and start demanding..

i now have a 10gig replacement model, working fine .. 7 weeks of hell to get it .. but ppl FIGHT FOR UR COMSUMER RIGHTS !!

Posted by Shaun on April 4, 2004 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

30 gig doing the shut off sometimes after playing only a minute of two (sleep timer is off).

Sent it in, comes back saying they put the latest firmware on it (it already was) and that the pod tests on the diagnostics within apple specs.

First time I use it still shuts off. Basicly pod took a trip for nothing. Apple specs are broad enough to include poor performance.

Long time Mac fan, Apple had not pissed me off until now.

Posted by Tadpod on April 5, 2004 at 10:51 AM (CDT)

my 3g ipod hdd broke down on mine, only 2weeks after i got it, so
i logged onto the apple care website, and filed for a repair, all they asked for was my serial number and address, 2days later, i got a package in the post with instructions, i put my ipod in the box, called ups and they clollected it, a week later, i got another package in the post with a new ipod :)

through the whole period , i would check the apple site often, and notice changes in my repair case.

the service was perfect, im very pleased with it.

apple forever
..............time to get rid of windows :/

Posted by Vyker on April 6, 2004 at 6:38 AM (CDT)

I received a 10G iPod for my birthday in September of ‘03. Having gone out of my way to upgrade my ruby iMac 400 so the iPod would work, I was dismayed to find that the iPod would not mount… ever. I tried everything. The only thing that would get it to work was starting the computer with the iPod already attached, and even that only worked soemtimes. (sometimes it even kept the computer from starting)

After finding out that the store I bought it from wouldn’t touch it, I called Applecare and when even the 2nd level iPod experts couldn’t do anything, they sent me the box. Less than a week later I got the iPod back with a letter stating that they tested the iPod, found nothing wrong with it and sent it back untouched. I turned on the computer and tried it again. Nothing, no iPod. I called them back and complained that it still didn’t work. We ran through everything and nothing got it to mount. They sent me a free dock and a new cable. That didn’t work either.

On the 3rd call, the guy decided it was probably an extensions conflict and that I should go through the excruciating test for those. The next day, the iPod mounted fine, like nothing ever happened. Since then it worked perfectly until about a month ago. Now it won’t mount again.

So what’s my review? The people on the phone were as nice and helpful as I could expect, but I am still disapppointed that they were rather impotent in getting my problem addressed. I have no Apple store near me, and I can’t call them anymore, so what should I do? As I am understanding the literature, the 1 year warranty is still in effect…

Thanks

Posted by Jake on April 14, 2004 at 6:44 PM (CDT)

Several experiences I can share with you guys. My friends, girlfriend, and I own 5 iPods (4 20GB, 1 40GB) that we got for Christmas (aren’t we lucky!)

1. 3 out of 5 iTrips were bad. Went to an Apple Store, explained our situation, endured this 1 salesguy’s long, agonizing troubleshooting of the iTrip for 1.5 hours (!) until he finally agreed that they were bad. Ugh. Well, we got new ones. Cool. Saved us the trouble of having them sent back to Apple.

2. 1 of the 20GB’s hard drive started dying after 1 month. It’s currently in the mail back to Apple for warranty repair. Tech support said that my girlfriend will get a new one back, including the Personalization. Let’s hope so. I’d hate to get back a Refurbished one without the Personalization as it was a present from me to her.

All in all, support has been pretty good. What needs a LOT of improvement is QUALITY CONTROL of the iTrips.

Michael

Posted by Michael Yuen on April 17, 2004 at 11:27 PM (CDT)

my ipod remote control wire was coming apart only after a month of usage, so i went back to the apple store and i showed them my remote control. they then said that they could not replace it, at which point i got very upset and told them that it was not my fault that apple had poor workmanship. then, i crossed my arms and i told them i wasn’t going to leave the store until they replaced my ipod remote control, and then they promptly replaced it.

Posted by Stephanie on April 18, 2004 at 8:13 PM (CDT)

Hi all,

Have had my 3rd Gen 20Gb iPod for three months when the hard drive died, Wouldn’t boot, wouldn’t upload from iTunes (PC) and crashed PC whenever connected.

Raised a repair request on Apple’s website.  Package arrived 2 days later (from Netherlands to UK !) iPod went off to the Netherlands 2 days later and brand new 20Gb iPod arrived 2 days after that!!!!!

6 Days turnover for complete replacement not even in the same country.

I’m Impressed…....

Posted by Brian on April 19, 2004 at 3:58 PM (CDT)

i bought brand new 40 GB ipod today from best buys. I hooked it up directly to firewire after that i transfer some music and its say ok to disconnect then i try to press play buton it dont respon then followed manual instruction to reset ipod well i did that then i put back on power adapter to re charge is this normal or not some one please tell me i have spend $600 on this with warranty and 4 year service plan

Posted by Baljeet on May 2, 2004 at 2:14 AM (CDT)

I was wondering if the warrenty with apple products is an international one? the reason i ask is that i live in the UK and im going to the staes in a week and planning on buying an iPod. Any ideas?

Posted by Ben on May 7, 2004 at 10:26 AM (CDT)

I have had three iPods, no not because I liked it so much that I purchased three, but because the first two that Apple gave me were defective.

My first iPod’s hard drive died, the second one had a battery issue, my current iPod is running fine.

The Apple support site sucks, it works fine until it comes time to enter my address, there it just keeps coming back “You must enter a county, SARASOTA or MANATEE” No matter how I entered it simply would not accept it and went to the same exact screen.

I called Apple Care, and since it was more than 90 days they wouldn’t talk to me unless I paid for an extended warranty.

So I drove up to the Apple store in Tampa, that was much easier to deal with.

But I got to agree with the posters assessment, some of the so called geniuses are far from it. I’m a Windows guy, but I was better at listening to the issues as I waited then the professional Apple employee. One lady was told to restore her iBook from the CD’s and she asked “How often do you have to do that?” instantly the light should have went off that this lady is having a recurring problem, instead he answered “Rarely,” I had to nudge the lady into bringing it up, by asking her “Has something like this happened before?”

Posted by PPGMD on May 14, 2004 at 10:12 AM (CDT)

I have an ipod mini which I got in February. After about a month, it started with the distortion and scratches while playing. ANy time I touched the pad, I got noise.

This week it got absolutely horrid, the first 10 seconds of any song was virtually unrecognizable due to distortion and screeching. Yesterday, I actually heard a song SLOW down.

Today I went to the Apple store in San Francisco. The genius heard the same thing I did. He swapped it for me. Now my newly replaced mini is charging. 20 minutes of waiting at the Genius bar and I am good to go. Thanks Apple.

Posted by mark on May 14, 2004 at 12:27 PM (CDT)

I have a 3G 20G pod which, from time to time, likes to run hot. Sometines hot enough to be very uncomfortable to the touch. I discovered that the drive was doing a lot of retrys while reading. After re formatting and installing the iPod OS, the problem has improved, but it still hangs frequently when writting new tunes. Has anyone had this problem also? Can anything be done short of replacing the drive?

Posted by Larry on May 22, 2004 at 8:21 PM (CDT)

Hate to have to say it, but it looks to me like Apple is trying to delay and deny the manufacturing defect with the Mini Ipod’s audio (and it’s not just audio, it slows down audio tracks at times)
The Mini was great while it worked for about a month until the loud scratching started but I’ve had nothing but grief trying to get warranty replacement.
Spent two hours yesterday at the Apple store yesterday.  First, they claimed they’ve never heard of the problem, that it was the earbud.
When I pulled out a second set of Apple earbuds, new ones, and demonstrated the problem had nothing to do with the buds, they agreed the unit is defective.
My Mini is less than 90 days old.  First tried to get them to replace it with a unit they had in stock, but they refused.
The service guy took it to the back room of the Charlotte store for about an hour.  He said “Apple will ship you a replacement ipod, you’ll get it Tuesday, send the defective one back.”
Checking the case # today with Apple, “Oh,no, we’re not sending you a replacement, you have to send your unit in to be ‘diagnosed’ it could be a software problem.” (Marcel)
I told Marcel “Two guys including the service guy at your Genius Bar say it’s defective, what more do you need to diagnose??”
While I was talking to the Apple store service tech, a guy I don’t know, another customer walked up and said “Hey, this has been exposed by Ipodlounge, it’s even on the BBC web.”  But the Service Guy claimed he’d never heard of the problem…right.

Posted by chuck on May 24, 2004 at 9:18 AM (CDT)

I loved my Mini until the audio noise and song slowing started after about one month.
But Apple seems to be trying to deny the problem and delay warranty replacement.
I took the unit to an Apple Store yesterday.  I asked them if anyone else had had such a problem They said “No” they’d never heard about it before.  They suggested maybe it’s the earbuds.
WHen I demonstrated the problem with a new s
et of ‘buds, the Store Manager agreed the Mini was defective. I mean you can hear the cracking feet away from the earbuds…
WHILE he would not give me a new Mini from the store’s stock, he went in the back with the unit, called Apple Care and told me “Apple is shipping you a replacement Mini, you’ll get it Tuesday, just send back the defective unit.”
Checking the case # the manager gave me today, Apple now claims (Marcel) “Oh, no, you misunderstood! We’ll send you a mailer for you to send your Ipod to us because we have to ‘diagnose’ it first—it could be a “software problem”.
I think if Apple was serious about determining the extent of the problem, they’d believe what their store managers diagnose and honor what they promise.
I called the Store Manager back today and he confirmed “No, you did not misunderstand, I said we would ship you a replacement first, because we already know your unit is defective.”  So I’m waiting for him to call back.”
So, when Apple claims in the media only a few “isolated” reports of the MiniIpod defect, I consider the hours I and a Store Manager have already spent.
If an Apple Store Manager can’t get a replacement, what chance do I have?

Posted by chuck on May 24, 2004 at 9:54 AM (CDT)

Can someone please tell me the 800 number for iPod support? I have a question. In the ‘about’ section of my iPod (where you can find out version number, etc.) the top says My iPo —there is no “d.” Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks,
Renee

Posted by R on May 26, 2004 at 8:55 AM (CDT)

40GB iPod slid from my lap, hard drive would not spin. Called for shipping (and told Apple I dropped it - I was fully prepared to pay for the repair.) Friday night, box arrived Monday, I shipped out Tuesday, new iPod arrived WEDNESDAY! I was shocked! Told everyone! Awesome!
p.s. I live in Toronto (Canada).

Posted by Spineless on May 31, 2004 at 6:08 PM (CDT)

Ive had my iPod for over 6 months now, and unfortunatly one day i noticed that the insulation on the wireing on the apple headphones had become disconected, exposing the wires below. Anyway i sent an email to apple discribing the problem and within the day they had replyed saying that my replacement headphones had been shipped, without any questions asked! To me thats pretty good service.

Posted by Richie E in Australia on June 3, 2004 at 1:58 AM (CDT)

I bought the original 5 gig ipod. It died just before warranty expiration. I went to the Apple Store in Santa Monica. They said because I had dropped it (although there was nothing significant to suggest damage to the case), that it was outside warranty. OK, I gave Apple the benefit of the doubt. Bought a new 10 gig ipod. It went bad 10 months into the original warranty. (I bought an extended warranty to make sure that I was covered.) Again, I’m told it’s my fault. (I add that I’m an amputee and my sole exercise is walking the dog, so it isn’t getting dropped very much at all.) This time, I sue Apple in small claims court in CA. (It may help that I’m a lawyer….maybe not.) Trial is set for Wednesday, June 9th. Hadn’t heard squat from Apple, so I called their legal dept. in Cupertino. Lo and behold, they plan to DEFEND!!!! Common sense would dictate appeasing a customer who has been with Apple since the IIe days of 1982, (as in “the customer’s always right” or, “we’d like to keep your business”) but Apple, in its corporate arrogance, want to go to war….Finally, as if the above were not enough, my son who got a 10 gig ipod for his high school graduation just had his ipod break for now apparent reason, and nope, for some strange reason, his ipod isn’t covered under the warranty either, according to Apple.

Let me be clear. Apple’s warranty system is a fraud, at least for ipods. Moreover, since the ipod is portable, it’s occasional fall is foreseeable, especially when it is supposed to be used (according to Apple’s advertising) for dancing, walking, running, and use in athletic contexts. Cell phones, Walkmen and digital cameras are occasionally dropped and are designed to withstand that normal shock. (Name someone who has never dropped her cell phone…) Over the years, I have steered possibly a half million dollars to Apple, as an Apple evangalist to the legal community, and spent perhaps $50 K on Apples and Macs. Never again. Indeed, I’m not sure that I will ever buy another Apple product, after 22 years of being one of the company’s most fervent supporters and shareholders.
    “Support” is a two way street. Apple takes its insanely loyal customer base for granted, and then screws its customers with a regularity more associated with houses of prostitution than computer companies.

Chuck Lindner
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Santa Monica, CA

Posted by Chuck Lindner on June 5, 2004 at 12:33 PM (CDT)

The Apple store at Megamall Malaysia really sucks! I purchased a faulty 30GB iPod from that Apple Store and tried to explain to them that it is faulty because it isn’t working properly. I was really disappointed as the personnel at the Apple store refused to change my brand new few hours old iPod. He kept giving irrelevant and lame unacceptable excuses.

After an hour or so.. I began to get really angry and insist that he replace a new unit for me or else I’ll write to Apple directly. He then reluctantly replaced a new iPod for me.

To those who live in Malaysia.. Please do not purchase from that Apple store. I personally feel that Apple should look into the matter. Gallant IT, the company running the Apple store in Malaysia is ruining the reputation of Apple Inc.

Posted by Vei on June 7, 2004 at 2:01 PM (CDT)

Ipod sux azz and so does apple…..i hate em both, my 3g 10gig ipod died and wont wake up…..its too late for warranty because they screwed me out of a month.  basically $350 down the drain and no one can do a damn thing about it…...thanx apple!  you really screwed meee :)  fukerz…..dey need to anti up on the improvement of their sucky azz i pods…..screw it i will just travel with my laptop everywhere, i got more then enough space on there for my MP3’s.

Posted by chris on September 15, 2004 at 4:51 AM (CDT)

My 40gb 3G decides to start playing despite being paused and on hold (oddly, it always seems to be playing the Eagle’s when i find it. anyway…). I called uk tech support & some grumpy irish guy said i was outside the tech support warrantee and if i wanted him to help me (i.e. ask “is this normal) i’d have to pay £35 (~$55 i think) for that one question. Looking at the apple depot page it turns out that if i just send it off to them and there’s nothing wrong they’d charge me $100+sales tax. Just to look at it. this is where Jobs makes his money methinks.
Anyway, i called back tech support and spoke to a guy with a think german accent and instantly i’m worried that there’s gonna be a communication barrier but he was nothing but nice, explained that i should try reset then restore then send it back and that it wasn’t normal, despite my telling him i wasn’t under tech support warrantee Legend. I guess like everything it depends on the mood of the person you’re speaking to.
Now just gotta cross my fingers and hope its a software problem…

Posted by Simon on October 6, 2004 at 5:42 AM (CDT)