Preserving playlists and music on upgrade from 20GB to 60GB iPod | iLounge Article

Article

Preserving playlists and music on upgrade from 20GB to 60GB iPod

By Kirk McElhearn

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 9, 2005
Articles Categories: Ask iLounge, iTunes, Music

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I recently got a 60 GB iPod photo and I would like to transfer all of my music and playlists from my old 20 GB iPod to the new iPod. Is this possible? I would really hate having to create new playlists for my 20 GB of music.

- Chad

A: It’s not clear from your question whether you have your music on your computer. If you do, this is no problem at all; simply connect the new iPod, and iTunes will sync the music to it. However, if you have deleted your music and playlist information from your iTunes library, you’ll need to use a separate application such as iPodRip or SharePod.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Switching iPod from Windows to Mac

Copying music to multiple iPods »

Comments

I just installed the ipod software onto my computer.. and updated Itunes. When I plug in my ipod my computer refuses to recognize/acknowledge it. it shows me a message in toolbar saying ipod not readable.. ive had the ipod for 3yrs. my friend loaded it with songs 2 yrs ago and i havent touched it since. i wanted to update my music.. when i plug the ipod in my pc, it tells me i have to update, i know if i do that, all my music will be erased. i already downloaded podutil, but cannot use it because my comp wont recognize my ipod..! frusrating! can some please help me or have any ideas???  Thanks so much.

Posted by MarySmith on June 9, 2005 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

for the first question:

If he wants to physically change the location of his library without losing all the stats/fun data - he should use iTunes to move the music. then there’s no (!) in front of the songs, and no need to transfer the files back and forth everytime he wants to sync his ipod.

It’s been a while since I did this, but I believe it was 1. change the location of the itunes library in the ‘Preferences>Advanced’ dialog and then choose ‘consolidate library’ from the advanced menu.

but i don’t 100% remember if that’s right.

Posted by Puck in washington dc on June 9, 2005 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

From the first question, it seems that he doesn’t want to move his entire library, but only individual songs or albums from time to time. In that case, your tip about changing the location of the library doesn’t help. That’s only useful if you want to move the entire folder.

Posted by Kirk McElhearn on June 10, 2005 at 6:07 AM (PDT)

I guess I understood that he was looking to relocate it permanently with the phrase “to house my ever-growing music library”

But, now that i reread it, with the phrase “when I move it from my computer’s hard drive to the external or vice versa” it does sound like he might want to move it back and forth…

No diss intended, i look forward to this colomn eachweek… the question’s just a little murky.

Puck

Posted by Puck in washington dc on June 10, 2005 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

I have a 4th generation Ipod, and one day while running my poor Ipod froze.  I tried to re start it by pressing the select and the menu keys, but still no luck of resisitation (the poor thing). What should i do!

_courtnie-

Posted by Courtnie on June 10, 2005 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

i just bought A new 20 gig harddrive for my 2 gen ipod and it will not format   help

Posted by dnitzh on June 11, 2005 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

I have a G5running osx with the two user option, I have i-tunes information in both sides, I need to know how to add to my ipod from one side without deleting the information that I have on it already from the other….

Vespuci

Posted by vespuci on June 11, 2005 at 4:34 PM (PDT)

my g3 ipod froze. after that incident, it will not completetly turn on. it only shows the apple logo and the low battery sign at times. any advice or help. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by weca on June 11, 2005 at 4:48 PM (PDT)

when i plug my ipod into the computer, itunes wont recognise that its plugged in, and the computer says the USB is malfunctioned and unreadable, basically i cant download anything

Posted by Emelia on June 12, 2005 at 1:45 AM (PDT)

Help.
I have/had many files I use for work (I am a music teacher) and I just transferred many more from an outside source to my iTunes music folder.  The original library was on another drive, which I deleted, thinking it was the obsolete one.  It wasn’t.
I then had to add the folder to iTunes library, 9000 songs in all.
When I try to update the iPod, it does a hundred or so, then stops.  The programme also crashed once.  Can you hepl me please.  I need this by Tuesday for work and am very annoyed.
Thanks
Len

Posted by julen on June 12, 2005 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

I have loaded several entire disks into a playlist and want to shuffle randomly around through them.  When I choose shuffle, it shuffles the disks and not the songs.  How do I make it go randomly from disk to disk, song to song.

Posted by flyboywebb on June 12, 2005 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

Using a second ipod
We have two ipods, after updationg itunes with songs, I can transfer songs to one ipod easily (say ipod A), the other (ipod B) stalls itunes, freezes my computer and loads only after several ipod updates and reset attempts. The next time, the machine that was last updated (ipod B), accepts the added songs from itunes, and then the other ipod (ipod A) just does the same to my computer; freezing up everything etc. This seems to be in contradiction to other statements in here, saying, using two ipods should not be a problem. Are there any special steps required, am I missing something, or have others had similar experiences, and dealt with them successfuly? If so, kindly share your solutions.

Posted by Yaqa on June 12, 2005 at 7:47 PM (PDT)

I am currently using a PC.  I will be getting an Imac in a few days.  How can I transfer my music in iTunes from my PC to my iMac?

Thanks.

Posted by DanielTseytlin on June 12, 2005 at 10:57 PM (PDT)

How can I convert my Ituns files to work on my Tivo.  My Tivo needs mp3 files not AAS files.  I can convert the my CD’s, but I can not convert the Itunes that I bought on line.  Please e-mail me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Posted by scott.wolfe on June 13, 2005 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

As soon as I connect an ipod to a computer, an update will be performed on the ipod automatically.  When this update is performed, the files on ipod will be deleted as part of the update process if the copy of those files are not found on the computer, right?
Is there any way I can stop the updating process before it deletes some files from the ipod?
Thanks,

Posted by Kapolei on June 14, 2005 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

I recently upgraded to Tiger. Doc’d my iPod and before I knew what was happining, all my music was gone. Is there a way to extract these songs from my iPOD without it being too costly. I had approx. 900 songs.

Posted by rustica on June 15, 2005 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

I have been moving all my CD’s into itunes and creating a Playlist for each album. Seeing how I have hundreds of CD’s I want to be able to mange them in and out of the ipod quickly and easily. In manuel mode I have not been able to delete individual playlists from the ipod without affecting my itunes playlist. How do i delete individual playlists and replace them with new ones after my ipod is already full??

Posted by michaelp on June 15, 2005 at 8:09 PM (PDT)