Problems activating Personal Hotspot on iPad
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: A lot of new iPads if not all have problems activating Personal Hotspot. Any solution on this?
- Marc (via Twitter)
A: Firstly, keep in mind that the Personal Hotspot feature is only supported on the new, third-generation iPad; it is not available on older models, even with the latest iOS updates.
Even if you have a supported iPad model, however, the availability of the Personal Hotspot option is controlled by your carrier and the configuration file supplied by your carrier for whatever microSIM card you are using. It’s also important to remember that just because a carrier offers the Personal Hotspot feature for the iPhone, it does not mean that it will automatically be available for the iPad as well.
Further, some carriers include Personal Hotspot access as part of all data plans, while other carriers either charge extra for this feature or limit to only specific data plans. In these cases, the Personal Hotspot option will appear on your iPad, but you may not be able to activate it unless you are on the necessary plan.
Most of the problems that we have encountered with users enabling Personal Hotspot are carrier-specific, and it may therefore be necessary to contact your carrier or Apple Support directly.
Apple maintains a support article on Locating Wireless Carriers that includes details on which iPhone and iPad services are offered by which carriers. Unfortunately, this article is specific to the iPhone, and doesn’t indicate those carriers which may not offer Personal Hotspot for the iPad, nor what the specific plan requirements are for Personal Hotspot. You will need to call your specific carrier to find out if the plan you are on is eligible for Personal Hotspot.
Apple and supported iPad carriers also routinely release updates to their configuration files, distributed either over the air or via iTunes depending on the carrier and region. If you are on a supported carrier and plan and are still having problems with the Personal Hotspot feature, you can try Updating your Carrier Settings to see if that helps.
In some cases, resetting the network settings on your iPad may also be necessary to cause the Personal Hotspot option to appear or to properly enable. This option is found in the Settings app under General, Reset.
This option only resets your network-related settings and does not affect any other data on your device, although it will be restarted immediately after you select the option. Note that your configured Wi-Fi networks are part of your network settings, however, and will need to be reconfigured after doing this.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- Court allows police to force woman to unlock iPhone with Touch ID fingerprint
- Coach reportedly releasing bands for Apple Watch
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)