Problems connecting to iTunes Store
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am not able to update apps on my iPhone or iPad that were purchased under my former Rogers e-mail address which is no longer valid since moving to an area not serviced by Rogers. I can sign in with the old address but since it is no longer valid, the apps store responds with a message “unable to connect.” I get the same error message when using my new email address as the update file is looking for the same address as the app was purchased under. This is even for free apps. Does anyone know how to get around this problem or how to get the app store to recognize that a user has a new email address.
A: Whether or not your e-mail address is active should have no bearing on your ability to access the iTunes Store with a given account as long as you actually know the Apple ID and password for the account. In fact, even if you chose to use your e-mail address as your Apple ID for the iTunes Store, this login name is not actually tied to your Rogers e-mail address, but is simply an ID. Your user account will contain your e-mail address, but this is stored separately from the Apple ID that you actually use to log in to the iTunes Store. You can update your e-mail address in your user account by going to your iTunes Store account, either via iTunes or by visiting http://myinfo.apple.com and signing in with your Apple ID and password. It is a good idea to update the e-mail address in your account to ensure that you are using a current and valid e-mail address as this is where your iTunes Store receipts are sent and where password reset instructions will be sent if you ever forgot your password or need other assistance with your account.
The problem you’re having connecting to the iTunes Store is not related to the validity of your e-mail address, however, and is more likely some other network problem. Check to ensure that you don’t have any firewall software running on your computer or your home router that might be causing problems accessing the Internet. Certain types of anti-spyware or anti-malware software can also interfere with iTunes’ ability to connect to the iTunes Store. You can find more information on troubleshooting your connection to the iTunes Store in Apple’s knowledgebase articles: iTunes for Windows: iTunes Store Connection Troubleshooting and iTunes for Windows: Connection issues when using Internet filters, accelerators, or firewalls.
Once you get the situation resolved and can successfully connect to the iTunes store you should be able to continue using your original iTunes Store account without any problems, although again it’s recommended that you update the e-mail address in your account as noted above. If you have chosen to use your e-mail address as your actual Apple ID, however, you can continue doing this as the Apple ID isn’t used an an e-mail address but merely as a sign-in name.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple recruits two Google Satellite Executives
- Nike unveils new Nike-exclusive ‘Apple Watch NikeLab’
- Prince single ‘Deliverance’ disappears from Apple Music
- Apple releases 2017 Environmental Responsibility Report
- Condé Nast Traveler reveals cover photo shot with iPhone 7 Plus
- Facebook integrating Apple Music into Messenger app
- China meeting with Apple to discuss concerns over live streaming apps
- New Prince single available on iTunes, Apple Music; EP available for pre-order
- Apple makes iWork apps, iMovie and GarageBand free to download
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10