Problems deleting pictures in Photos app
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am having problems removing photos from my iPhone 5 running iOS 7. When I open my photos, the option at the bottom says Photos or Albums. When I select the option Photos, it comes up with collections and years and when I select photos it only gives me the option of “Add To” or AirDrop—the trashcan icon is not able to be selected. Is it possible to still delete these photos? I need to delete some so I have more memory on the phone and these photos are all saved on my PC. Would love to hear if you can help. Thanks.
A: This will normally be what you see if you select one or more photos that have been synced onto your iPhone from your computer via iTunes, rather than saved to the Camera Roll or Photo Stream.
The delete button is greyed out in this case as you cannot delete these photos directly from the Photos app—they must be removed via iTunes instead. You can do this by connecting your device to your computer and selecting it from the “Devices” list in iTunes and then going to the Photos section.
From here you can de-select any photos that you no longer want on your device and click ‘Apply’ and they will be removed during the subsequent sync. Alternatively, if you no longer want to sync any photos to your device, you can simply uncheck the Sync Photos From option at the top, and iTunes will remove all of the synced photos. Note that this will not remove any photos in your camera roll or Photo Stream.
Note that in some cases photos the delete button may also be greyed out when selecting photos that are stored in your Photo Stream from other devices, such as an iPad, iPod touch, or another iPhone. In this case, you can remove these photos by going to Albums instead and selecting them directly from within the “My Photo Stream” system album.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!