Problems downloading free updates from iTunes Store
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently ran out of money on my VISA Gift Card. I was using this to purchase apps from the App Store after burning through two iTunes Gift Cards. However, now it seems that I can’t even download FREE app updates, since that VISA is out of money and I have no more iTunes Gift Cards. Is there an option in my iTunes account where I don’t have to input a credit card or gift card to into the payment method? I plan to get another Gift Card soon, but would like to update some of my apps in the meantime.
A: Unfortunately, the issue here is not simply that you don’t have a payment method currently specified, but rather that you have an outstanding balance that needs to be paid. When this occurs, iTunes will not allow you to download any new content, including free apps or free app updates, until the outstanding balance is resolved.
This happens because iTunes does not actually bill your credit card for every individual purchase. In order to avoid a bunch of very small transactions, iTunes aggregates purchases and only tries to bill them to your credit card when they reach a certain threshold, or when a certain amount of time has elapsed since your last purchase. However, if your credit card doesn’t have sufficient balance when the iTunes Store tries to bill your previous purchases, then it requires you to specify a payment method before you will be allowed to download any new content.
You can check your outstanding balance by logging into your iTunes Store account and looking at your purchase history. In addition to your previous purchases, you will see a note at the top of the screen showing your most recent purchase and indicating that there is an amount outstanding and asking you to specify a payment method for it. You will need to specify a payment method—either a credit card or gift card—to clear off this balance.
Note that this does not occur with gift cards, since iTunes deducts purchases from your gift card balance immediately. This makes gift cards the safer way to go, since even if your gift card balance reaches zero, you shouldn’t be left with an outstanding balance on the iTunes Store and will still be able to download free items.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!