Problems downloading free updates from iTunes Store
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently ran out of money on my VISA Gift Card. I was using this to purchase apps from the App Store after burning through two iTunes Gift Cards. However, now it seems that I can’t even download FREE app updates, since that VISA is out of money and I have no more iTunes Gift Cards. Is there an option in my iTunes account where I don’t have to input a credit card or gift card to into the payment method? I plan to get another Gift Card soon, but would like to update some of my apps in the meantime.
A: Unfortunately, the issue here is not simply that you don’t have a payment method currently specified, but rather that you have an outstanding balance that needs to be paid. When this occurs, iTunes will not allow you to download any new content, including free apps or free app updates, until the outstanding balance is resolved.
This happens because iTunes does not actually bill your credit card for every individual purchase. In order to avoid a bunch of very small transactions, iTunes aggregates purchases and only tries to bill them to your credit card when they reach a certain threshold, or when a certain amount of time has elapsed since your last purchase. However, if your credit card doesn’t have sufficient balance when the iTunes Store tries to bill your previous purchases, then it requires you to specify a payment method before you will be allowed to download any new content.
You can check your outstanding balance by logging into your iTunes Store account and looking at your purchase history. In addition to your previous purchases, you will see a note at the top of the screen showing your most recent purchase and indicating that there is an amount outstanding and asking you to specify a payment method for it. You will need to specify a payment method—either a credit card or gift card—to clear off this balance.
Note that this does not occur with gift cards, since iTunes deducts purchases from your gift card balance immediately. This makes gift cards the safer way to go, since even if your gift card balance reaches zero, you shouldn’t be left with an outstanding balance on the iTunes Store and will still be able to download free items.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10