Problems logging in to iTunes Store
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Since upgrading to Mavericks, I’ve been having problems logging into the iTunes Store on my new MacBook. I was logged in without any problems at first, but after I switched to the U.S. store to look for an app, I couldn’t log back into the U.K. store any more. All it ever says is that the iTunes Store is not available, yet I can log in fine from my iPad and iPhone. Any ideas? I’ve tried restarting iTunes and restarting my computer, but it’s been saying this for three days now.
A: While there are a number of reasons this can occur, the most common one that we’ve encountered recently is actually related to corrupt data in a place that would seem to be unrelated: your Safari browser.
The issue is that the iTunes Store essentially works through the same WebKit browser libraries as Safari, and therefore a lot of the data such as cookies and cache are actually shared between the two. If you take a trip into your Safari preferences, you can find a section for Cookies and other website data on the Privacy tab.
Clicking on the Details button from here will open up a list of sites that have stored data on your computer. Typing “apple.com” in the search box at the top-right corner will help you easily find data stored for Apple’s sites, including iTunes Store related cookies and data.
Selecting the entry for “apple.com” and clicking the “Remove” button will clear out this data. If you then close and restart iTunes you will likely find that you can log in again without any problems.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- Executives talk Apple Music successes and failures
- Apple Q4 earnings call set for October 27
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps