Problems logging in to iTunes Store
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Since upgrading to Mavericks, I’ve been having problems logging into the iTunes Store on my new MacBook. I was logged in without any problems at first, but after I switched to the U.S. store to look for an app, I couldn’t log back into the U.K. store any more. All it ever says is that the iTunes Store is not available, yet I can log in fine from my iPad and iPhone. Any ideas? I’ve tried restarting iTunes and restarting my computer, but it’s been saying this for three days now.
A: While there are a number of reasons this can occur, the most common one that we’ve encountered recently is actually related to corrupt data in a place that would seem to be unrelated: your Safari browser.
The issue is that the iTunes Store essentially works through the same WebKit browser libraries as Safari, and therefore a lot of the data such as cookies and cache are actually shared between the two. If you take a trip into your Safari preferences, you can find a section for Cookies and other website data on the Privacy tab.
Clicking on the Details button from here will open up a list of sites that have stored data on your computer. Typing “apple.com” in the search box at the top-right corner will help you easily find data stored for Apple’s sites, including iTunes Store related cookies and data.
Selecting the entry for “apple.com” and clicking the “Remove” button will clear out this data. If you then close and restart iTunes you will likely find that you can log in again without any problems.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- Court allows police to force woman to unlock iPhone with Touch ID fingerprint
- Coach reportedly releasing bands for Apple Watch
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)