Problems playing back CDs burned in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I can listen to CDs that I burn in iTunes, but they don’t play in my car. This only happened recently. I was always able to listen to them before. Your articles say something about a “Burn” tab in preferences, but I don’t have a Burn tab. There is only a preferences under “Edit” and no burn tab. Am I missing something?
A: As of iTunes 8 the “Burn” options have actually been moved out of the preferences and now appear immediately before starting an actual disc burning session.
The first thing to check is to confirm the type of CD that you’re burning. iTunes allows you to burn Audio CDs, MP3 CDs or Data CDs. Audio CDs should play in any standard CD player, including the one in your car. MP3 CDs, however, require a player that is specifically compatible with that type of CD, since all you’re really doing is burning the raw MP3s to the CD as files. Data CDs are designed for backup and archival of your content, and cannot normally be played back in any type of CD player.
If you’re burning Audio CDs and still having problems playing them back in your car you should double-check the type and brand of CD media that you are using. Most name-brand CD-R media should not be a problem, however CD-RW (rewritable) media does not play back properly in many standard CD audio players. It’s also not uncommon to have problems with cheaper, lower-quality CD-R media. You may also find that reducing the recording speed can sometimes help to improve the reliability of the burn process, which in turn may result in the CD playing back properly in other players.
Lastly, if you’re using decent quality CD-R media and lower burn speeds and still having problems with playing back your recorded CDs in your car then the problem may be the CD-R drive itself or the CD player in your car. Testing the recorded CDs in other CD players should help to isolate which of the two devices is at fault.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3 + watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Third-party screen repairs no longer void iPhone warranty
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10