Problems Syncing and Downloading Podcasts on iOS
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: The last few paragraphs of your article on Auto-deleting Episodes in iOS Podcasts App refer to things not working as expected and some syncing and downloading issues. I’m experiencing this and thought I could fix them by unsubscribing in iTunes and only maintaining the subscription within the Podcast app, but that didn’t seem to help. I suspect there’s a file somewhere, either on the phone or on my MacBook that’s screwing things up. Short of completely uninstalling iTunes on the MacBook and the Podcast app on the phone, then reinstalling and starting from scratch, is there any way to get the app to behave the way I tell it to via its settings for sync and save?
A: It is unlikely that there is anything in iTunes on your MacBook that is causing problems with your iOS device, although you should ensure that you have actually disabled Podcast syncing entirely from iTunes, as opposed to simply unsubscribing. To do this, go into your Podcasts settings for your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and ensure that the Sync Podcasts option is completely unchecked.
This will effectively break the connection between iTunes and your iOS device for handling podcasts, removing any podcast episodes that were previously transferred onto your device via iTunes, although you can of course simply re-download those manually in the Podcasts app directly. Any new episodes downloaded by the Podcasts app on your device will also no longer be transferred back to iTunes automatically.
The problem here is that if a Podcast subscription is still being synced from iTunes, the Podcasts app will assume that it should get new content via iTunes rather than automatically syncing new content over-the-air. This happens regardless of whether you are actually subscribed to the Podcast in iTunes, as the subscription status isn’t actually communicated between iTunes and your iOS device.
If this doesn’t solve the problem by itself, it may still be necessary to either toggle auto-downloading off and back on within the affected podcast subscription(s) or remove them from the app entirely and resubscribe. As a worst-case scenario, it may be necessary to delete the Podcasts app entirely and start over from scratch, but this shouldn’t normally be the case. You definitely shouldn’t need to worry about reinstalling iTunes on your MacBook, since as long as you’re not syncing Podcasts to your device, iTunes otherwise has no effect on the Podcasts app or its content.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- Jaguar announces in-car Apple Pay payment option at UK Shell gas stations
- Shareholders seek more diversity in Apple upper management
- Apple to fight Nebraska ‘right to repair’ bill
- Apple eyeing another supplier for future OLED screens
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10