Problems syncing photos to iPod touch
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I can’t seem to sync photos to my 2G iPod touch. I continually get an error message indicating there is not enough free space, yet my photo folder is only 60 MB and iTunes indicates that I have 240 MB free space left on my iPod touch. This seems to have started after my last firmware update. Any ideas on how to rectify this? Thanks.
A: There are a couple of issues here that may be causing this problem. Firstly, iTunes does not copy your photos over to the iPod in their native formats, but actually converts them to a fixed resolution for display on the iPod and stored them as uncompressed bitmaps. This means that in some cases your photos may actually take up more space on your iPod or iPhone than they do on your computer.
In the case of the iPod touch and iPhone, photos are resized to an approximate resolution of 640x480, but are stored as uncompressed bitmaps, which increases the size of each image as compared to the compressed JPG files normally used for photo storage on your computer. Further, iTunes also creates pre-sized thumbnails for each photo and stores these on the device alongside your original photos. The result of all of this is that you can expect each photo on your iPhone or iPod touch to take up approximately 672 KB of storage per photo.
The second issue you will run into when loading any content onto your iPod touch when running low on capacity is that iTunes tries to leave a little bit of space on your device to avoid filling it up completely. This is especially important with the iPod touch, as other applications may need a bit of space available to run properly.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases sixth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Developers pushing back against abusers of Apple’s App Store refund policy
- Apple lobbies for shared data, more public road access to test autonomous driving systems
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- Apple releases statement on iCloud Calendar spam
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10