Problems transferring music from iPod to Mac
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I read your tutorial on Copying Content from your iPod to your computer, and followed the steps to manually load my songs from my iPod nano onto my Mac mini and it didn’t work. I put in the command scripts onto terminal as requested and was able to see the iPod_control folder and the music folder when browsing through my iPod, but when I went to iTunes and chose the “Add to Library” that folder wasn’t visible. I tried copying the music folder out of iPod_control, but it still remained invisible to iTunes. Have others noticed this problem? Is it because I have a Mac Mini? Is it the newest version of iTunes that is stopping this??
A: There is a problem in more recent versions of iTunes that despite the preferences to show hidden files within Finder itself, these folders will not always appear visible to other applications such as iTunes. In some cases, shutting down and restarting iTunes after adjusting the Finder preferences resolves this, but not always.
Copying the content of the “Music” folder back to your computer and importing it from there is normally sufficient, but there’s a much faster way: With the ipod_control folder open in Finder, simply drag and drop the content of the “Music” folder from the Finder window onto the iTunes window. This produces the same effect as the “Add to Library” menu option, resulting in all of the selected files in that folder and all sub-folders being imported into your iTunes library. Just make sure that you have the Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library option enabled and your iTunes Music folder set correct before doing this, as explained in the tutorial, to ensure that all of the imported files get copied back to your computer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 10.1, tvOS 10.0.1, watchOS 3.1
- New details about Apple Watch Nike+ exclusives, availability
- Apple’s website hints at possible Apple Pay launch in Germany
- ConnectSense Smart Outlet adds power monitoring, reduces price
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple partners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series 2 Headphones
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps