Problems transferring music from iPod to Mac
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I read your tutorial on Copying Content from your iPod to your computer, and followed the steps to manually load my songs from my iPod nano onto my Mac mini and it didn’t work. I put in the command scripts onto terminal as requested and was able to see the iPod_control folder and the music folder when browsing through my iPod, but when I went to iTunes and chose the “Add to Library” that folder wasn’t visible. I tried copying the music folder out of iPod_control, but it still remained invisible to iTunes. Have others noticed this problem? Is it because I have a Mac Mini? Is it the newest version of iTunes that is stopping this??
A: There is a problem in more recent versions of iTunes that despite the preferences to show hidden files within Finder itself, these folders will not always appear visible to other applications such as iTunes. In some cases, shutting down and restarting iTunes after adjusting the Finder preferences resolves this, but not always.
Copying the content of the “Music” folder back to your computer and importing it from there is normally sufficient, but there’s a much faster way: With the ipod_control folder open in Finder, simply drag and drop the content of the “Music” folder from the Finder window onto the iTunes window. This produces the same effect as the “Add to Library” menu option, resulting in all of the selected files in that folder and all sub-folders being imported into your iTunes library. Just make sure that you have the Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library option enabled and your iTunes Music folder set correct before doing this, as explained in the tutorial, to ensure that all of the imported files get copied back to your computer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- Icahn pulls out of Apple over China concerns
- Apple launches CareKit, with four apps debuting today
- Alleged schematics for iPhone 7 ‘Pro’ show up in Japanese magazine
- Nintendo bringing Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing to iOS
- FBI will not disclose San Bernardino iPhone hack
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q2 results: $50.6B revenue, 51M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)