Problems transferring music from iPod to Mac
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I read your tutorial on Copying Content from your iPod to your computer, and followed the steps to manually load my songs from my iPod nano onto my Mac mini and it didn’t work. I put in the command scripts onto terminal as requested and was able to see the iPod_control folder and the music folder when browsing through my iPod, but when I went to iTunes and chose the “Add to Library” that folder wasn’t visible. I tried copying the music folder out of iPod_control, but it still remained invisible to iTunes. Have others noticed this problem? Is it because I have a Mac Mini? Is it the newest version of iTunes that is stopping this??
A: There is a problem in more recent versions of iTunes that despite the preferences to show hidden files within Finder itself, these folders will not always appear visible to other applications such as iTunes. In some cases, shutting down and restarting iTunes after adjusting the Finder preferences resolves this, but not always.
Copying the content of the “Music” folder back to your computer and importing it from there is normally sufficient, but there’s a much faster way: With the ipod_control folder open in Finder, simply drag and drop the content of the “Music” folder from the Finder window onto the iTunes window. This produces the same effect as the “Add to Library” menu option, resulting in all of the selected files in that folder and all sub-folders being imported into your iTunes library. Just make sure that you have the Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library option enabled and your iTunes Music folder set correct before doing this, as explained in the tutorial, to ensure that all of the imported files get copied back to your computer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10