Problems updating iPhone applications
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Since the latest update to my first generation iPhone software to 2.1 I get a nag screen when I update an application telling me that “This discounted price is only available to customers who own a previous version of this item. To purchase this item at the full price, click OK.” This happens with all updates even if they are free apps. Any thoughts?
A: The most common cause for this error message is that you are not logged in with the iTunes Store account that was actually used to purchase/download the app in the first place.
When you update applications via iTunes or the iPhone App Store, the list of eligible updates is generated based on the applications that are physically on your computer, regardless of which iTunes Store account they were purchased with. When you go to actually perform the update on the application, the list of applications is checked against the purchase history for whatever iTunes Store account your are currently logged in to. If you did not previously purchase the application using that particular iTunes Store account, then you will not be eligible to update that particular application, since iTunes cannot find a record of you actually owning that particular app.
If you are having this problem in iTunes itself and have more than one iTunes Store account, simply ensure that you are logged in with the iTunes Store account that was used to purchase the app initially. You can check which account was used for the application simply by going to the iTunes “Applications” section and choosing File, Get Info in the same way you would for a music track. The “Summary” tab will identify the iTunes Store account that was used to purchase that particular track:
For the iPhone, you will need to sign in to the proper account on your main iTunes computer, and then synchronize the iPhone to update the account information on the device. The iPhone itself does not provide a means to switch iTunes Store accounts directly on the device—it simply inherits the account settings from your main iTunes library.
If you are certain that you are logged in to the correct iTunes Store account and are still having this problem, then there may be a problem with your iTunes Store account itself or purchase history. In this case, you will need to contact iTunes Store Customer Service for assistance.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!