Problems with iTunes opening automatically when connecting an iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I am running Lion on my 27” iMac. I have the box “Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected” checked, but iTunes has to be manually started to synch my iPhone 4. ANy clues why this rather simple problem occurs?
A: The first thing to check is to look in your iTunes Preferences on the “Devices” tab and ensure that the option to “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically” is not selected. This option serves as a global override to the individual options for each device, and if enabled will prevent ANY device from automatically syncing with iTunes, regardless of whether it is a new or existing device.
If this option is not enabled yet you’re still having problems, try UNchecking the “Open iTunes” option, syncing your device, and then RE-checking it. This option is actually stored with the device and it’s possible for the option in iTunes and the setting on your iPhone to mismatch, particularly if you’ve connected your device to other iTunes libraries.
Failing this, the only remaining option is a potential problem with your operating system or installation of iTunes. Removing and reinstalling iTunes can sometimes solve this—to do this simply move the “iTunes” application to the trash, empty the trash and then download the latest version of iTunes and install it. Note that you can do this without losing any of your iTunes preferences or content as you only removing the application and not any of the data.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- August adds Motion Detection, Video Recording to Doorbell Cam
- Black hat security firm triples exploit bounty to $1.5m in wake of improved iOS 10 security features
- BMW acknowledges Bluetooth problems with iPhone 7
- Apple announces ‘Game of Thrones: Enhanced Edition’ interactive iBooks
- Apple announces App Store Search Ads
- Apple announces iOS business development partnership with Deloitte
- Apple logs iMessage contact info, could be compelled to offer info to police
- Apple reportedly calls in hackers for meeting on bug bounty program
- Apple creating new London headquarters
- Honeywell debuts Lyric T5 HomeKit-enabled smart thermostat
- IK Multimedia iRig HD 2
- 808 Audio XS Sport Rugged Wireless Speaker
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps