Purchased music on a second-hand iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I recently purchased a 30GB iPod photo from a friend. He deleted all of his music off of it in iTunes, and I put my 20GB of my iTunes on it. The problem is that it won’t play any of the 50 or so songs that I purchased from the iTunes Music Store. What is the problem?
A: Problems like this can be caused by one of the following two problems:
- The iPod is using Manual synchronization mode, and your iPod was never properly associated with your computer.
- The iPod’s internal software (or “Firmware”) is out of date, and is not able to play recently-purchased music. In April of 2004, Apple debuted an iTunes/iPod software update that “broke” purchased music, requiring users to update both iTunes and their iPods simultaneously. It’s possible that the purchased music is using this updated version of the Digital Rights Management (DRM), while the iPod Software is only equipped for the former version.
In your specific case, the first problem is almost sure to be the culprit, as all iPod photos were produced after the tweak to iTunes’ DRM made with the release of iTunes 4.5.
To fix it, enable “Automatic” synchronization mode, (even if only temporarily) in order to properly associate the iPod with your computer and its iTunes authorization. (More about iPod Synchronization methods can be found here). Apple’s support documentation suggests you may also need to deauthorize (See iTunes’ “Advanced” menu) and reauthorize (play a Music Store track) your computer for your iTunes Music Store account, as well.
If this doesn’t work (and for users who believe they have the second issue), download the latest iPod Software Updater, and use it “Restore” your iPod in order to bring its capabilities up to date, wipe it truly clean, and returning it to “out-of-box” condition for a proper iPod - iTunes setup process.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!