Purchasing an iTunes Gift Card for use in another country
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Can I purchase an iTunes card in the UK for use in Australia?
A: iTunes Gift Cards can only be used for the iTunes Store for the country in which the card was purchased. This means that an iTunes Gift Card purchased in the U.K. can only be redeemed in the U.K. iTunes Store. That said, Apple does not limit access to the iTunes Store based on a user’s physical location, so you would be able to access the U.K. iTunes Store from Australia, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. However, this is probably not something you want to do on a regular basis.
Firstly, from a strictly legal point of view, Apple’s Terms and Conditions limit you to only using the iTunes Store in the country you’re in. For example, the iTunes Store U.K. Terms and Conditions note that “The Service is available to you only in the United Kingdom. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside this location. iTunes may use technologies to verify your compliance.” Similar language is used in most other countries where the iTunes Store is available. If Apple decides that you have been using your iTunes Store account outside of the Terms and Conditions, it has the right to shut down your account, possibly resulting in a loss of access to, or updates for, any items that were purchased with that account.
In practical terms, since an iTunes Store account is created for, and generally tied to an existing country based on the billing address and/or gift card used, by using a U.K. Gift Card in Australia you would effectively be setting up an account for the U.K. iTunes Store, requiring all future payment methods to be U.K. based—either a credit or debit card issued by a U.K. bank or additional gift cards purchased from the U.K. While it is possible to use more than one iTunes Store account on a single computer, this is generally more trouble than it’s worth compared to simply using an Australian iTunes Store account in the first place, particularly if you’re purchasing iOS applications as you will need to switch back and forth between the accounts to receive available updates. Note that it is also possible to change the country on an existing iTunes Store account, however this requires supplying new billing information for the new country and may also prevent you from re-downloading content or updating apps previously purchased from the iTunes Store in the original country.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!