Re-enabling Find My iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I accidentally deleted an iPhone from the Find My iPhone app and I can’t seem to get the iPhone back. Please help! I deleted the app and reinstalled with no luck. Thanks for your help
A: To clear up any confusion, the “Find My iPhone” feature is actually built into the iOS operating system while the “Find My iPhone” app is used to locate iPhones and other iOS devices that already have the “Find My iPhone” feature enabled.
The “Find My iPhone” feature is enabled under the iCloud section of the Settings app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you have removed an iPhone from your account in the “Find My iPhone” app it is possible that the feature was remotely disabled on that device as part of that process. If you go to Settings, iCloud and toggle the switch beside “Find My iPhone” back on this should re-enable the feature.
Keep in mind that simply installing the “Find My iPhone” app does not enable the feature on an iPhone, nor do you even need to have the app installed for the feature to work. In fact, the “Find My iPhone” app is only useful if you have another iOS device that you may want to locate from your iPhone, since all it does is tell you where a given device is. If you’re running it on your only iOS device, then the answer should be obvious. Remember that you can also use Find My iPhone from a Mac or PC by logging into your account on iCloud.com from any modern web browser.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- Report: Apple’s Siri home hub has reached the prototype stage
- Apple acquires machine learning company Tuplejump
- Apple releases iOS 10.1 public beta
- iOS 10.1 beta adds ‘Portrait’ Depth of Field effect
- Apple releases first iOS 10.1, watchOS 3.1, tvOS 10.0.1 developer betas
- Report: Apple considering acquisition of high-performance car maker McLaren (Update: and Lit Motors)
- Google brings Allo messaging app to iOS
- Apple working on fix for Lightning EarPods glitch
- DisplayMate says iPhone 7 has the ‘best performing mobile LCD display’
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Nuvyyo Tablo Over-the-Air Television DVR
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps