Reaction: Hieber on T-Mobile’s German iPhone deal
Following today’s announcement that T-Mobile will be the exclusive German vendor of Apple’s iPhone, starting on November 9 at a price of 399 Euros, iLounge spoke with Christian Hieber, editor of leading German iPod and iPhone site iFun.de, to get a domestic take on the announcement.
iLounge: So the announcement of iPhone availability in Germany was made today. What do you think of the price?
Hieber: The price was no big surprise for us. On first look, most people tend to call it overpriced, but regarding the features and comfort—especially the fact that it is your iPod and phone in one—it’s acceptable for most people. My personal opinion: it’s a good deal. I’ve used an U.S. iPhone for a few weeks now and the fact that I have my iPod, mail, phone and the other stuff all together in my pocket is great.
iLounge: How do you think the iPhone features (EDGE/8GB) will satisfy your needs?
Hieber: It should. I actually use GPRS, and it’s still okay to check mails or look up a street in Google Maps. EDGE should be more than twice as fast, as far as I know, so it will work. Let’s see if T-Mobile makes their 20,000 Wi-Fi Hotspots available for iPhone customers; that would be a really good deal. T-Mobile has 90% EDGE coverage in Germany and 20.000 Wi-Fi hotspots. Every Starbucks here has a T-Mobile hotspot too, but nothing was said on Starbucks special services yet.
iLounge: What’s happening with T-Mobile’s iPhone service plans? What do your readers, and the mainstream German press, think of these details?
Hieber: They didn’t announce the plans yet. They will give details shortly before the sales start on the 9th of November. Everything depends on the service plans. People are waiting for the exact rates to decide what they do.
On the media coverage, I can’t say much today. There was lots of interest at the event, but everyone missed the details about the plans. Besides that, you can expect that every German newspaper will report on the event; most news shows did so this evening.
iLounge: What do you think of the release date?
Hieber: We expected it a bit earlier, but it’s still in time for Christmas shoppers!
iLounge: Do you think iPhone will succeed in Germany? If so, or if not, why?
Hieber: It’s confusing for our readers that the iPhone will not even be available at the Apple Online Store; it’s only from T-Mobile. We don’t expect that there will be fast contract switchers here, like you have seen in the States, but if you give people more time to see the product and get out of their other contracts in a regular way, it should succeed. Additionally, Apple’s starting in Germany with three TV spots. They all have been localized using German newspapers for the examples in Safari, and the famous German band “Wir sind Helden” for the iPod demo.
iLounge: Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective, Christian.
- Apple Case Design in 2013, Part 3: On Changes, Innovation, and the Future
- Apple Case Design in 2013, Part 2: On Apple Design Specifics
- Apple Case Design in 2013, Part 1: On Protection + Priorities
- Interview: Soundfreaq On Apple + The Accessory Market
- Interview: How Soundfreaq Designs + Prices Speakers
- EA Mobile on iPod Game Development
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?