Reader Editorial: iTunes Price Changes - Beginning of the End, or Natural Evolution?
Because of continued reader interest in the topic of iTunes Music Store pricing, and developments on that subject today, we have created a new Reader Editorial as a discussion hub for your opinions. If you haven’t read today’s news yet, here’s a brief summary of what’s going on.
Over the last several months, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been publicly challenged by certain record labels to alter the iTunes Music Store’s famous 99-cent-per-song, $9.99-per-album pricing scheme for music in the United States. Though Jobs has responded fiercely in public to such requests, there are signs that iTunes pricing is readying for changes behind the scenes. International iTunes Music Stores have already begun to adopt flexible pricing for single songs, numerous albums are now selling at prices other than $9.99, and premium-priced “deluxe” versions of albums with “extra” music videos and songs have been increasing steadily in number.
Today, there was a surprise twist to the announcement that certain NBC, Sci-Fi Network, and USA Network shows would be available through the iTunes Music Store: several offerings have skipped the $1.99 per show pricing announced by Jobs at the October launch of iTunes 6 and the fifth-generation iPod. Specifically, Late Night With Conan O’Brien is selling full-length programs for $9.99 each, and only providing 6 to 12 minute sketches for $1.99. Sci-Fi’s four-part Battlestar Galactica Miniseries is available only as a $15.99 “album
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!