Reader Editorial: iTunes Price Changes - Beginning of the End, or Natural Evolution?
Because of continued reader interest in the topic of iTunes Music Store pricing, and developments on that subject today, we have created a new Reader Editorial as a discussion hub for your opinions. If you haven’t read today’s news yet, here’s a brief summary of what’s going on.
Over the last several months, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been publicly challenged by certain record labels to alter the iTunes Music Store’s famous 99-cent-per-song, $9.99-per-album pricing scheme for music in the United States. Though Jobs has responded fiercely in public to such requests, there are signs that iTunes pricing is readying for changes behind the scenes. International iTunes Music Stores have already begun to adopt flexible pricing for single songs, numerous albums are now selling at prices other than $9.99, and premium-priced “deluxe” versions of albums with “extra” music videos and songs have been increasing steadily in number.
Today, there was a surprise twist to the announcement that certain NBC, Sci-Fi Network, and USA Network shows would be available through the iTunes Music Store: several offerings have skipped the $1.99 per show pricing announced by Jobs at the October launch of iTunes 6 and the fifth-generation iPod. Specifically, Late Night With Conan O’Brien is selling full-length programs for $9.99 each, and only providing 6 to 12 minute sketches for $1.99. Sci-Fi’s four-part Battlestar Galactica Miniseries is available only as a $15.99 “album
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- Editorial: Why iOS 7 Will Succeed, Despite Divisive Issues
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Microsoft confirms Cortana coming to iOS this year
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?