Reader Editorial: iTunes Price Changes - Beginning of the End, or Natural Evolution?
Because of continued reader interest in the topic of iTunes Music Store pricing, and developments on that subject today, we have created a new Reader Editorial as a discussion hub for your opinions. If you haven’t read today’s news yet, here’s a brief summary of what’s going on.
Over the last several months, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been publicly challenged by certain record labels to alter the iTunes Music Store’s famous 99-cent-per-song, $9.99-per-album pricing scheme for music in the United States. Though Jobs has responded fiercely in public to such requests, there are signs that iTunes pricing is readying for changes behind the scenes. International iTunes Music Stores have already begun to adopt flexible pricing for single songs, numerous albums are now selling at prices other than $9.99, and premium-priced “deluxe” versions of albums with “extra” music videos and songs have been increasing steadily in number.
Today, there was a surprise twist to the announcement that certain NBC, Sci-Fi Network, and USA Network shows would be available through the iTunes Music Store: several offerings have skipped the $1.99 per show pricing announced by Jobs at the October launch of iTunes 6 and the fifth-generation iPod. Specifically, Late Night With Conan O’Brien is selling full-length programs for $9.99 each, and only providing 6 to 12 minute sketches for $1.99. Sci-Fi’s four-part Battlestar Galactica Miniseries is available only as a $15.99 “album
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- Editorial: Why iOS 7 Will Succeed, Despite Divisive Issues
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?