Reader Editorial: Summer 2006 iPod Speculation
The pattern is now predictable: once or twice each year, an old iPod model becomes passe, the world speculates on what its replacement will be like, then Apple replaces it. But so far, 2006 has been all sizzle and no meat: we’ve seen plenty of speculation over iPod shuffle, iPod nano, and 5G iPod successors, but no major new iPod releases. Rather than speculate ourselves over what’s to come, we wanted to leave it to you.
Keep in mind that analysts are predicting all sorts of things, but their track records are mixed, and guesses often wrong. Many are focused on iPod nanos and their flash-based replacements: we’ve seen estimates of 6 to 8GB iPod nanos, 10 to 12GB new, high-end flash-based iPods, and discussions of both aluminum and magnesium enclosures, both in multiple colors. There have been dozens of guesses that Apple will release new widescreen video iPods with touch or gesture interfaces, but most of the recent reports have focused on wireless sixth-generation iPods. Additionally, Apple-developed iPhones are also supposedly coming soon.
What do you think is going to happen? And when? Will Apple kill the iPod shuffle? The iPod nano? Re-introduce the iPod mini? What will the replacements look like and feature? Pick your favorite iPod model or models, and give us your best guess on its future in the comments thread below. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- Editorial: Why iOS 7 Will Succeed, Despite Divisive Issues
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Larger iPad production delayed until later this year, USB 3.0 ports to be added?
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Gumdrop Cases Drop Tech Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?