Reader Editorial: Summer 2006 iPod Speculation
The pattern is now predictable: once or twice each year, an old iPod model becomes passe, the world speculates on what its replacement will be like, then Apple replaces it. But so far, 2006 has been all sizzle and no meat: we’ve seen plenty of speculation over iPod shuffle, iPod nano, and 5G iPod successors, but no major new iPod releases. Rather than speculate ourselves over what’s to come, we wanted to leave it to you.
Keep in mind that analysts are predicting all sorts of things, but their track records are mixed, and guesses often wrong. Many are focused on iPod nanos and their flash-based replacements: we’ve seen estimates of 6 to 8GB iPod nanos, 10 to 12GB new, high-end flash-based iPods, and discussions of both aluminum and magnesium enclosures, both in multiple colors. There have been dozens of guesses that Apple will release new widescreen video iPods with touch or gesture interfaces, but most of the recent reports have focused on wireless sixth-generation iPods. Additionally, Apple-developed iPhones are also supposedly coming soon.
What do you think is going to happen? And when? Will Apple kill the iPod shuffle? The iPod nano? Re-introduce the iPod mini? What will the replacements look like and feature? Pick your favorite iPod model or models, and give us your best guess on its future in the comments thread below. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!
- Editorial: Why iOS 7 Will Succeed, Despite Divisive Issues
- Editorial: It’s Time To Fix Lightning Dock + Case Compatibility
- Multi-Editorial: iLounge’s Editors on iOS 7
- Editorial: 2013’s 10 Big Apple Trends, Spotted At CES
- Editorial: Why Apple’s $329 iPad mini Price Is Right, For Now
- Multi-Editorial: iLounge’s Editors on Apple’s Passbook
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- iPhone 6 metal mockups spotted at electronics show
- Alpine Electronics announces aftermarket CarPlay products
- Apps: A&E/History 2.0, Ally 3.0, Amazon Cloud Drive Photos 3.0 + Pandora 5.3
- Pioneer officially announces aftermarket CarPlay access
- iWatch: LG to supply flexible displays, September release?
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Tavik Hemings for iPad Air
- Spigen SGP GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy for iPhone 5/5c/5s
- Incipio [Performance] Armband for iPhone 5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Brookstone Perfect Drink App-Controlled Smart Bartending
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac