Recovering content from an iPod nano
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an original iPod nano and my library is on a laptop that is now broken and completely unrecoverable. I have bought a new laptop which has Windows 7 and want to know how I get my library onto my new computer without having access to the old one? I have read your forums and want to understand whether I need to go to Apple first and download iTunes to my new laptop and then connect my existing iPod - will this automatically download my songs? Also, will it copy everything across including the songs that I have added from CDs and purchased songs and if not, how do I do this to ensure everything goes across? I really want to get this sorted and dont want to get it wrong and risk losing my songs altogether!
A: There are a number of ways to go about doing this, and the short answer is that unless you have only music purchased from iTunes stored on your iPod you will need to look to a third-party tool that can copy your content from your iPod back to your computer.
You will need to download iTunes and install it at some point, although not all third-party tools require iTunes to be installed—many will simply copy the music back to a folder on your computer and you can then import it into iTunes yourself. Connecting your iPod to your computer with iTunes installed will attempt to sync your iPod, and if you have authorized your computer for your iTunes Store account will also offer you the opportunity to transfer purchased items from your iPod back to your computer.
However, this will only transfer items that you have purchased from the iTunes Store and will not transfer music you have imported from your own CDs or other sources. Further, it will also not copy back playlists.
See our tutorial on Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer for a detailed look at how to do this and some of the options that are available.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!