Recovering lost audiobooks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: While syncing my iPhone when I was trying to transfer all of my purchases to my computer, iTunes froze up halfway through so I had to manually shut it down and I lost my audiobook that I had just purchased that day. Is there any way to retrieve that when it’s not showing up on my iPhone or iTunes? I have the new iPhone 4S.
A: Unfortunately, the only way to deal with this is to contact iTunes Store Customer Service. The easiest way to go about doing this is to find the item in your purchase history and use the “Report a Problem” link. You can access your iTunes Store purchase history directly through the iTunes Store within the iTunes application by selecting the “Account” link from the Quick Links in the top-right corner of the iTunes Store home page, logging in with your Apple ID and password and then selecting the Purchase History option from your Account Information Page.
In the Purchase History section, click the “Report a Problem” button that appears at the bottom of the list and the click the “Report a Problem” link beside the specific item in your order that did not download properly. You will then be taken to a form where you can choose the problem from a drop-down list and fill in any more information that is required.
This sends a request to the iTunes Store customer service group and you should receive a response via e-mail within a day or two, likely indicating that they’ve simply added the item back to your queue for re-downloading.
Note that if you have this problem with content that is normally available from iTunes in the CLoud, such as music or TV shows (in the U.S.), you can simply go to your Purchased items from the Quick Links at the top-right corner of the iTunes Store and re-download it directly from there. Unfortunately, Audiobooks are not included in iTunes in the Cloud yet.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10