Recovering Mac-formatted iPods on Windows
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I got an iPod classic 80 GB as a gift. It’s set to Mac but I want it to Windows WITHOUT having to lose the 5 GB worth of music that were part of the gift. I don’t have a Mac, so is there a way that I can do this from Windows? Can I store the music with different software than iTunes that’s compatible with both Mac and Windows, than reset the iPod to Windows and download the music again or is there an easier way?
A: Traditional iPod models appear simply as an external hard disk to the computer, and are either formatted for Windows (FAT32) or Mac (HFS+), depending upon which system they were set up on. While a Mac can read a Windows-formatted disk (and therefore by extension, a Windows-formatted iPod), the reverse is not automatically true—Windows has no idea what to do with an HFS+ formatted drive.
The normal way of converting an iPod from Mac use over to Windows is to perform a “Restore” on it, erasing everything on it and reformatting it for the Windows operating system. However, if you want to recover data from the iPod before doing this, it will be necessary to either find a Mac OS X computer to recover the data on, or purchase a commercial utility for Windows such as MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com, $50, free trial available), which will allow Windows to read any Mac-formatted disk. Note that the MacDrive trial is apparently full-functional for five days, so the trial version may actually be all you need for one-time recovery of an iPod’s content, as long as you use it within five days after installing it.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Papa John’s releases pizza-ordering app for Apple TV
- Apple call Australian banks’ request a ‘detriment to consumers’
- EU determines Apple should pay 13 billion euros in back taxes to Ireland; Apple plans appeal
- SIM tray photos hint at alleged ‘gloss black’ iPhone color
- Trademark filings hint at wireless EarPods, two new Apple Watch models
- Report: EU to rule against Apple-Ireland tax deals, recommend Apple pay 1B+ Euros
- Apple sued over unresponsive iPhone 6/6 Plus touchscreen issues
- Apple announces Sept. 7 event
- Philips introduces Hue Motion Sensor
- Photos hint at improved battery for new Apple Watch
- Belkin PowerHouse Charge Dock for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app