Recovering photos from an iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have my boyfriend’s iPod which has old pictures on there that we want to get off. He doesn’t have the computer that his iTunes was on or the computer that originally had the pictures. We have tried to use my copy of iTunes to copy them off. All that showed was his iPod on my screen but nothing showed up for photos on that main menu on the left side. What are the steps in getting all these pictures off from his iPod to my iTunes?
A: iTunes itself does not provide any way to transfer photos from your iPod back to your computer, nor really any means for directly managing your photos on your iPod—it merely acts as a conduit to transfer your photos to your device.
If your boyfriend had opted to store full resolution copies of the photos on the iPod when he first transferred them over, then you can access these through Windows Explorer or Mac Finder simply by setting your iPod to enable disk use and then browsing it as an external hard drive. The photos will be located in the /Photos/Full Resolution folder, and you can just copy them off in the same way as you would any other file.
On the other hand, if the full resolution photos were not originally saved to the iPod, then you will need to look for third-party recovery software to retrieve the photos from the thumbnail databases that iTunes stored them in. Note that in this case you will be limited to recovering a 640 X 480 version of the photos in question, as iTunes would have resized the original photos to more appropriate resolutions for the iPod itself.
You can find more information on recovering photos from the iPod in our iPod 201 article, Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer. Page 4 provides detail on recovering photos from your iPod.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10