Recovering photos from iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: After a hard drive failure, I used your tutorial to properly recover the songs that were on my iPod and copy them back to my Mac - thanks! Is there any way to do the same for photos which were synchronized with the iPod?
A: There are a few different possibilities here. If you had checked the “Include full-resolution photos” option in iTunes’ iPod preferences, then each image in the iPod’s photo library would have its full-size version stored in (and easily accessible from) its “Photos” folder. If this is the case, simply navigate to this folder on the iPod using Windows Explorer or the Mac’s Finder, and copy the files to your computer.
However, if you didn’t have this option checked, you’ll have a harder time recovering your photos, and you’ll never get the full-quality versions back again.
When it synchronizes photos to the iPod, iTunes creates three versions of each image: one thumbnail for the iPod’s “Photo Library” menu, one sized for the iPod’s screen, and one larger one for TV viewing. Each of these files are stored within special databases which cannot be manually viewed. However, Keith’s iPod Photo Reader for the Mac can do it easily.
Simply point the software to your iPod’s “Photos/Thumbs” folder, and it will work to extract thumbnail and TV-sized images, which can be saved as PICT files. To convert them to JPEG or another format compatible with PCs, you’ll need to use another image editor, but the ability to restore anything is better than nothing after a massive hard drive failure. Good luck!
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!