Reinstalling games on the iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I purchased the game “uno” for my iPhone and it has never worked right. I went to iTunes and they told me to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer recommended that I take the game off and reinstall it but I do not know how to do that without paying for it again. I have downloaded other games with no problem. Can anyone help?
A: Any games you purchase on your device are automatically transferred back to your iTunes library, so you can easily remove and re-install the game as long as you have synchronized with iTunes since you purchased it.
You can actually confirm that the game is in your library simply by looking at the “Applications” tab in iTunes. It should be listed there along with any other games or applications that you have purchased.
You can remove the game from your iPhone either via your iPhone sync settings in iTunes or by deleting it directly on the device. To remove it via iTunes, simply connect your iPhone to your computer and select it from the iTunes Devices list. A Summary screen for your iPhone should appear in the main window, and there should be an “Applications” tab on the far right.
From here, you can choose to sync only selected applications. Any apps that are not checked will be removed from your device on the next sync. Note that any data stored in these applications will also be removed.
You can also choose to delete the application directly from your iPhone by holding your finger down on the application icon until a small X appears in the top-right corner. Tapping on this X will prompt you to delete the application from your device. Again, this will remove all of the application’s data as well.
When you next connect to iTunes, you can then visit the applications tab and re-select the application to reinstall it on your device.
Lastly, note that unlike music and other media content from the iTunes Store, you can re-download previously-purchased applications at no additional charge. Simply attempt to purchase the application again, either on your iPhone or via iTunes, and you will receive a note that you have already purchased the application and can download it again for free.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!