Remote control of Windows via iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m a 15 year old guy from Belgium and I have a question. Sometimes when we are watching TV we realize that our computers (Windows) are still logged on. As they are not in the same room, nobody wants to go upstairs to shut them down. It would be nice if I could just grab my iPod touch and shut them down remotely. My iPod and both PC’s are in the same network. Is there an app that will let me do that easily or is there another way? Thank you in advance.
A: Although there are not yet any applications that will specifically provide Windows Management functions such as remote shutdown, there are a wide range of more fully-featured remote control applications available from the iTunes App Store, both for Windows and Mac.
There are a couple of popular methods for remote controlling a Windows computer. Windows’ own Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) can be used with a compatible RDP or Terminal Services client. To use an RDP client with Windows, you simply need to enable the Windows “Remote Desktop” feature in your System control panel.
Alternatively, you can look at apps which use the VNC protocol. This would require you to install a small VNC server app on each of your computers, but these apps also have the advantage of working with other computer platforms such as Mac and Linux, and can even be used across the Internet when properly configured.
Some of these applications are relatively expensive due to the level of remote control functionality that they provide, but there are also a few basic ones that can be found on the App Store. A search for “VNC” or “RDP” will turn up a plethora of options.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!