Remove old iCloud backup after restoring to a new iPhone
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Thanks a lot for your article on Restoring from a previous iCloud backup. One question though: I’ve restored from iCloud onto my new iPhone. Now I want to back up the new one, but there isn’t enough space since the older one is still there. Can I delete the older back up and be sure not to lose my stuff? Even considering all content is in my new iPhone, it still seems kind of scary.
A: You can safely delete your old iCloud backup without affecting the data on your new iPhone at all. While of course you’ll be without a backup at that point, as long as you’re on a Wi-Fi network you can very easily make a new iCloud backup as soon as you’ve deleted the old one. Simply go into your Settings app and choose Storage & Backup from your iCloud settings, scroll down, and tap the “Back Up Now” button.
This shouldn’t normally take more than a few minutes, although if you have a slow Wi-Fi connection or a lot of photos and videos in your camera roll, the initial backup can take up to an hour or more. If you’ve deleted your original backup, you of course will be without a backup until this one completes, but that’s a reasonably low risk if you’re doing it at home overnight, since it’s not likely anything is going to happen to your iPhone during that time.
As an extra precaution, you can still make a manual backup to your computer using iTunes simply by connecting your device to your computer, selecting it in iTunes, and then choosing the “Back Up Now” button that appears on the Summary page for your device.
You can do this any time, even when you’re regularly backing up to iCloud. This backup will be stored on your computer, and can be used to restore your iPhone in the very unlikely event that your iPhone actually does fail while creating a new iCloud backup.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!