Removing artwork from iPod in iTunes 9
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: iTunes 8 had a check box you could deselect when syncing your iPod that would prevent album artwork from being loaded onto your iPod, taking up space I prefer to use for music. In iTunes 9 it appears to be gone and the artwork has been forced onto my iPod. Any idea if this feature is totally removed, or just hidden somewhere?
A: Sadly, this feature seems to be another one of those things that has disappeared in iTunes 9. We went digging through iTunes in the hopes that it may have been left as a hidden preference, but this does not appear to be the case, particularly as it was previously a per-iPod setting rather than a global setting. It’s also worth nothing that the iPhone and iPod touch never offered this option either—it was limited to the traditional click-wheel iPod models.
Short of removing all of your artwork from your iTunes library itself, the only workaround for this right now would be to manage the content on your iPod manually and remove the artwork directly. In this case, artwork would still be transferred to your iPod with any new tracks, but you could then open up those tracks on the iPod itself and delete the artwork in the same way as you would in iTunes.
To remove artwork from multiple tracks, either in your iTunes library or on your iPod, simply select those tracks, choose File, Get Info to bring up the multiple item information dialog box, and then simply check the “Artwork” box without actually pasting anything into the artwork field.
Click OK to save these changes. iTunes may prompt you to confirm that you want to remove or modify the album artwork for multiple items, in which case just accept the confirmation and the artwork will be removed.
Note that returning to automatic synchronization after this will put the artwork back onto your tracks if the artwork is still present in the iTunes library itself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- Supply shortfalls of upgraded components may delay iPhone 8 production to October/November
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10