Removing artwork from iPod in iTunes 9
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: iTunes 8 had a check box you could deselect when syncing your iPod that would prevent album artwork from being loaded onto your iPod, taking up space I prefer to use for music. In iTunes 9 it appears to be gone and the artwork has been forced onto my iPod. Any idea if this feature is totally removed, or just hidden somewhere?
A: Sadly, this feature seems to be another one of those things that has disappeared in iTunes 9. We went digging through iTunes in the hopes that it may have been left as a hidden preference, but this does not appear to be the case, particularly as it was previously a per-iPod setting rather than a global setting. It’s also worth nothing that the iPhone and iPod touch never offered this option either—it was limited to the traditional click-wheel iPod models.
Short of removing all of your artwork from your iTunes library itself, the only workaround for this right now would be to manage the content on your iPod manually and remove the artwork directly. In this case, artwork would still be transferred to your iPod with any new tracks, but you could then open up those tracks on the iPod itself and delete the artwork in the same way as you would in iTunes.
To remove artwork from multiple tracks, either in your iTunes library or on your iPod, simply select those tracks, choose File, Get Info to bring up the multiple item information dialog box, and then simply check the “Artwork” box without actually pasting anything into the artwork field.
Click OK to save these changes. iTunes may prompt you to confirm that you want to remove or modify the album artwork for multiple items, in which case just accept the confirmation and the artwork will be removed.
Note that returning to automatic synchronization after this will put the artwork back onto your tracks if the artwork is still present in the iTunes library itself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!