Renaming an iOS device
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: They will eventually release the iPhone 5 and I am planning on getting one. In the mean time I want to rename my iPhone 3G so that when I get my new phone I can still add games and other apps to my old phone and use it like an iPod touch. I know how to rename my device using iTunes. My question is, does changing the name on the phone cause iTunes to do anything to the things already stored on the phone? In other words, will it do a restore to factory settings so that I have to start over? Or does it really just change the name of the device?
A: The short answer is that it really just changes the name of the device. Nothing more and nothing less.
The actual name of the iPhone is mostly meaningless and is used primarily for display purposes in iTunes. With the addition of Personal Hotspot in iOS 4.3 it also becomes your default wireless network name. Beyond that, however, it doesn’t really matter what you call your iPhone. Internally, each iPhone has a Unique Device Identifier (UDID) that cannot normally be changed. This UDID is how iTunes keeps track of your specific iPhone in terms of sync settings and backups. Some third-party apps that store device-specific user profiles can also use the UDID for this purpose.
Note that content purchased from the iTunes Store, whether it be applications or media content, is not associated even with your UDID, much less your device’s name. The only thing that matters for this is your iTunes Store account, which becomes associated with your device either by loading on purchased content through iTunes, or logging into the iTunes or App Store on your device.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!