Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: How do I change owners on an iPhone? I recently upgraded from an iPhone 3G to a 3GS, and I want to give my 3G to my wife. When I changed her SIM card for my old one in the 3G, the 3G still thinks it is owned by me. I synced the 3G on my wife’s computer, and all the content changed to hers, but it still doesn’t change the name of the iPhone (Mike’s toy) nor does it change the iTunes account (she has her own). What can I do to change the name of the iPhone and change the iTunes account to hers?
A: Actually, what you’re describing isn’t really an issue with the “owner” of the iPhone, but rather merely the name of the device itself and the account that the iTunes Store application is logged in with by default. Neither of these items will affect your wife’s ability to use the iPhone 3G, and as you’ve already observed, her content has already been loaded onto it.
The name of the iPhone is not really of any significance other than for your own reference, and you can easily rename it by connecting it to any computer running iTunes, selecting it from the Devices listing in iTunes, and then double-clicking on it to rename it. From there, simply type in a new name and press RETURN and that’s about it.
The second issue with the iTunes Store account shown in the iTunes Store application and App Store applications on the device is also easily fixed. Whichever iTunes Store account you’re logged into with iTunes itself when you sync your device becomes the default account in use on the iPhone as well, so simply making sure your wife is logged in to her iTunes Store account within the iTunes application and then syncing your iPhone should update the current account information.
Note as well, however, that as of iPhone OS 3.0 you can switch iTunes Store accounts right from within the iTunes Store or App Store applications on the device simply by scrolling down to the bottom of the screen and tapping on the account name shown there. Regardless, the account name in these applications has no direct correlation to the owner of the device nor what content can be loaded or played on the device; it is simply the account that you’re logged in to the iTunes Store as for that particular session.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!