Renaming your iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I bought a new iPod and am giving my old one to my granddaughter. Is there any way I can change the name of the iPod?
A: If you’re giving away your iPod, your best option is actually just to use the iTunes “Restore” feature to return the iPod to its factory settings. This will erase everything on the iPod, returning it to the original settings that it was using when it originally came out of the box. When your granddaughter then hooks up the iPod to her iTunes library for the first time, she will be presented with the standard new iPod setup wizard, which will give her an opportunity to name the iPod and choose her own synchronization settings.
To restore the iPod, simply connect it to your iTunes library, select it in the left-hand source list, and then choose the “Restore” button from the Summary tab:
Note that if you don’t want to erase the content on your iPod, but rather just want to change the name, this is certainly possible as well. To do this, simply double-click on the iPod in the iTunes source pane. The name will change to an editable field, and you can simply type in a new name for the iPod.
Note that in this case, the iPod will be renamed and will retain all of your content. However, if you’ve been using automatic synchronization against your own iTunes library, your granddaughter will be prompted as to whether she wants to erase the iPod when she first connects it to her own computer. If she selects “Erase and Sync” any content that is already on the iPod will be removed and replaced with what is in her own library. If she wants to retain any content that you may have loaded onto the iPod for her, she will need to switch it into manual mode, as described in the first question above.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!